Ebay Scam?

ghosts_cloak

Hey there guys (Y))

Im selling my Santa Cruz Bullit on ebay - well, I was until the only bidder backed out! But anyway I just recieved this e-mail (the auction finished this afternoon by the way):

Hello,

I got the advert for the sales of your bike and i will like to know if you still have it for sale cos i want to buy it for my son..

please if the bike is still for sale,get back to me with the condition,the pictures and the amount in GBP ok..

You can call me on +44703184xxxx or email me on xxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

Thanks

Hmm Im pretty sure its a scam after hearing all the stories of ebay scammers. Should I proceed with caution - do you think this is legit? What would you do?

Cheers,

~Gaz

I'd think it was a scam if someone was trying to sell something to you, but seems as your selling something, then you should be fine. JUst get him to pay cash upfront or by paypal.

Thanks for your opinions, I have e-mailed him back with a link to all the pictures and details he wants and told him I would accept paypal only, so Ill see what he has to say (Y)

~Gaz

Most (not all) scams are pretty obvious.

My bro was selling a crosser an kept getting mails from someone asking if he would accept a cashiers cheque, an if we could let them have our postcode so they could arrange a courier to collect it.

The spelling started off really posh (queens english) an got worse as the mail went on.

Found out there was a lot of this going on at the time, you give them your postcode an they tap it into a sat-nav system an come an nick your bike! Also the cashiers cheque never arrives.

But that dont sound like a scam, like said before, be careful an get them to pay upfront an yuo should be fine. (Y)

Thats not a scam.

I get the scams every week, and they never work.

I know they are scams, because they go to my old e-mail address, because I changed the one ebay uses because of this .

They are mostly, Hi, Ive sent you payment for this item - link - and you havent sent it.

Of course, you dont be stupid enough to click the link, because if you hover over it, it goes to some weird site, thats not ebay.

Also, I allways get

"Ebay security alert.

Somone from Nigeria has tried to access your account 3 times, please click this link and enter all your details, so we know its you"

Yea, ok.

Although once i did click the link, it came up with a very well made page, which looked just like an ebay page, and had all the areas to enter info on.

But what they didnt realise, is that if you check the link, it isnt ebay.

I did try to fill it in once, but they wouldnt accept my name as "leave me the **** alone you cheap scamming ****, im going to find you and rip your **** off and feed it to you with a spoon"

If you want to know what these scams look like, ask and ill post some

Edited by trials_pimp

Although once i did click the link, it came up with a very well made page, which looked just like an ebay page, and had all the areas to enter info on.

But what they didnt realise, is that if you check the link, it isnt ebay.

I did try to fill it in once, but they wouldnt accept my name as "leave me the **** alone you cheap scamming ****, im going to find you and rip your **** off and feed it to you with a spoon"

If you want to know what these scams look like, ask and ill post some

Yea, i got one like that from paypal apparently, was pretty sure it wasent from them but clicked it any way, came up with a very well made page, it hid the original address bar and replaced it with some other thing that was trying to tell me i was on paypal site.

Tobe honest, anything that's done outside of ebay could be a scam. Like people have said, don't send the bike until you have the cash. Especially watch out if they ask you to pay via western union. Even Paypal if they're not verified. Bank transfers can be dodgy too - apparently sometimes the money can appear in your account and then disappear a couple of days later once you've sent the item.

So yeah, just proceed with caution! In fact I'd be tempted to just bosh it back up on eBay. If the guy wants it, he can bid for it as usual (N)

That is a scam as I've had exactly the same email, down to every word, from someone interested in my Revell.

Avoid it.

James

Ahaha thought so! Cheers, I havent heard back anyway!

~Gareth

ps: I now have a (hopefully) reputable buyer with good feedback and Im going to put it on with a buy now price... :P

if any of you havnt seen one of the paypal scam sites.... i got a scam through this mornin..

here is the link that comes with the email

http://146.83.210.6/paypal/index.html

it told me someone is trying to loginto my acc. and i need click the link and access my account to re-activate..

You can check out that link... just DONT log into your account through it.

Ry