Aother Hope Pawl Question...

Onza Kieron

I'm getting a Hope XC Ti and it need three pawls and three springs,the problem is i dont know where or how to get them. I've heard that Hope will replace them for free if I send the hub to them, is this true and if so when will I recieve it back because im going on a riding holiday next friday.

Kieron, :)

P.S I did try the search and i didnt find anything helpful. :huh:

I believe you can order them from Hope through your local bike shop for £12. Or send the hub back. They will replace the pawls for free, but you'll have to pay postage and it might not get there in time. Not sure if you can order them direct from Hope, but it's probably worth a try (They might even send you some for free if you're very lucky!).

Apart from that, I think you'll have difficulty finding anywhere that actually has them in stock, although you could try just ringing around several bike shops.

EDIT: It appears that Wiggle have them in stock, although they call them Hope Paws :huh:

Chain Reaction sell pawls and springs for about 15 quid a set.

Alternatively you could send the wheel to Hope. Sending a wheel is better as they can replace the ratchet ring. Last time I sent a hub on its own it was immediately returned with a note saying that they can't replace the internals unless the wheel is built (they need something to grab when twisting out the ratchet ring).

Don't bother phoning or trying to 'blag'. Just send them the wheel. They pay return postage.

I think it's just a screw driver to pop the end ring thing off (very little force needed) and slide the freewheel off (the lump the cassette sits on) you'll be amazed at how simple the internals are. Just some lumps on steel sat on springs. Couldn't be easier.

The hardest thing is finding the old pawls and springs that have fired off into the long grass somewhere when you opened it up! Disassemble carefully with no sudden movement of the wheel to avoid this.

I think that the springs in my Hope (2nd hand) are cut down ones from a biro!

Search for "Hope hub spares" on wiggle for the complete list of spares

Exploded view of the hub internals (pawls are #7) http://www.hopetech.com/technical/technical_index.htm

Hub maintainance PDF: http://www.hopetech.com/technical/technical_index.htm

Steve

OK, im planning on sending the wheel to Hope but I was wondering, how much effort is it to fit pawls and springs, is it worth doing it myself and what tools do I need?

Cheers again, Kieron (Y)

I think that the springs in my Hope (2nd hand) are cut down ones from a biro!

On closer inspection, you'll find that they are specially hand selected springs from the local mackay's hardware shop, they were more tightly coiled which should make them work more effectively :)

It says Hope pawls but i also need the springs so does anybody know where I can get them or if anybody has any i can pay a small amount for? (Y)

I got a set of pawls from my lbs (which will also includes springs), they don't usually stock them so may take a couple of days to order them. If you aren't sending your wheel off, i have a set of pawls and springs you can have for £12 (how much i brought them for) as i no longer own a hope hub.