Echo Urban...... Please Help?

Clownbike

I'm thinking about getting an Echo Urban second hand as it is going cheap. The thing is i have no idea what they are like to ride.

I'm 5 ft 8 ish, like to ride street, but dont bunny hop much, and did a few front touches on my orange zero and liked to try to spin. I like short chainstays and a light bike. The urban has the chainstays but is a lil heavier then my Zero.

I have not ridden many other bikes other than my own and a few friends so any information would be great, thanx

Neil :D

(It just seems everyone is going for the longer frames..... What is the deal with this, just don't know. Give me a bike and i'll ride it, but i know nothing about them :P )

Edited by Clownbike

I'm thinking about getting an Echo Urban second hand as it is going cheap. The thing is i have no idea what they are like to ride.

I'm 5 ft 8 ish, like to ride street, but dont bunny hop much, and did a few front touches on my orange zero and liked to try to spin. I like short chainstays and a light bike. The urban has the chainstays but is a lil heavier then my Zero.

I have not ridden many other bikes other than my own and a few friends so any information would be great, thanx

Neil  :D

(It just seems everyone is going for the longer frames..... What is the deal with this, just don't know. Give me a bike and i'll ride it, but i know nothing about them  :P )

I had an echo ES3 which is essentially the same thing I think. Super nimble on the back wheel, nice and short wheel wheelbase (I had pashley forks). Strong enough. Good street bike. The steering was twitchy and lovely like a Pashley. really throwable. Built up into a really light bike. Didnt dent too easy either. I tap everything and it really liked it. Im your height. Nicest riding bike Ive had so far. I now have a GMP which isnt all that great. Id say go for it, unless youd prefer something long low and silver. Shame its not made of steel. Good little old school bike. One of the shortest backends around. I think its about 375mm. No idea what the exacrt wheelbase is though but its a little less than a 26 Mhz.

Thanx guys this is great stuff. And i too will be runnin it with pashley forks. Any more info would be great :'(

Long shot; has anyone built the echo urban frame with pashley forks and know the wheel base?? Thanx guys,

Neil

Turns out that the ES3 is a shorter back end by 10mm and a shorter wheelbase by about 25mm. Are you running flat bars/ long stem or risers? I had a 70mm stem with easton carbon risers. It felt perfect like that.

Turns out that the ES3 is a shorter back end by 10mm and a shorter wheelbase by about 25mm. Are you running flat bars/ long stem or risers? I had a 70mm stem with easton carbon risers. It felt perfect like that.

im running echo bar and stem, no idea on length and rise :"> . Not very good with that.

How does the urban compare to the es3???? How did you find the urban as its a lil heavier than all the other echos?

anyone know if 10mm length in the rear chainstay would make a lot of difference?

Edited by Clownbike

That's all good, but remember that some of those reviews are two years old now and a lot has changed since then. A lot of people would want a much longer bike than that now. And they are pretty snap happy. That said, they would probably be pretty nice for a not-too-long, not-too-short frame for general riding. If you can get a good deal on one in fairly good condition, go for it!

That's all good, but remember that some of those reviews are two years old now and a lot has changed since then.  A lot of people would want a much longer bike than that now.  And they are pretty snap happy.  That said, they would probably be pretty nice for a not-too-long, not-too-short frame for general riding.  If you can get a good deal on one in fairly good condition, go for it!

Do you think £30 is worth it, but i have to fix the mounts (hellicoil), gonna cost me about £20. So overall price is gonna cost me £50, looks a lil battered, but i'm skint! Its either that or a monty urban?

Do you think £30 is worth it, but i have to fix the mounts (hellicoil), gonna cost me about £20. So overall price is gonna cost me £50, looks a lil battered, but i'm skint! Its either that or a monty urban?

Can't you just stick a bolt on the other side of the mount? Or buy a helicoil kit fir like £7 or whatever they are. I'm sure it'd cost less than £20 to get it 'coiled. As for the frame itself, £30 is very cheap. Just check for cracks before you buy and it should last you a couple of months at least.

Can't you just stick a bolt on the other side of the mount?  Or buy a helicoil kit fir like £7 or whatever they are.  I'm sure it'd cost less than £20 to get it 'coiled.  As for the frame itself, £30 is very cheap.  Just check for cracks before you buy and it should last you a couple of months at least.

I was kinda hoping it would last me a few years :'(

It won't.

EDIT:  Well not if you plan on riding it or looking at it, anyway.

Why do you reckon that..........

1)because it is a second hand frame?

2)poor workmanship on all echo urbans?

3)if the bolts have been stripped, this is a sign it has been abused?

4)if it is goin that cheap, it must be a lemon?

Not many frames will last you a few years, put through general riding.

Possibly all of the above. But mostly because it's an echo urban and they ALL snap.