Newbie / Oldie

zanneslover

Hi all.

Im just getting back into trials after a 3-4 year break. I decided to swap to the darkside(BMX) and then had a nasty accident. Anyway, as I've been out of the scene for a while and looking to get back in I was wondering what bike to get

There's the age old question mod or stock? When I was riding there was very little option but to ride stock. I have ridden stock trials(not very well) and BMX both flatland and street. Everyone says that mod is best for beginners but I don't know if you would class me as a beginner. I still have back wheel balance alright.

Anyway after I've decided mod or stock what bike? Not too sure who is good anymore! Are Monty still king of Mod? I have about £500 to spend on kitting myself out. I'm 5ft11 and 12stone. I was naturally a heavy rider but didn't take long to become a bit more fluid.

Anyway hope you can all help and look forward to riding with some of you.

Hi all.

Im just getting back into trials after a 3-4 year break. I decided to swap to the darkside(BMX) and then had a nasty accident. Anyway, as I've been out of the scene for a while and looking to get back in I was wondering what bike to get

There's the age old question mod or stock? When I was riding there was very little option but to ride stock. I have ridden stock trials(not very well) and BMX both flatland and street. Everyone says that mod is best for beginners but I don't know if you would class me as a beginner. I still have back wheel balance alright.

Anyway after I've decided mod or stock what bike? Not too sure who is good anymore! Are Monty still king of Mod? I have about £500 to spend on kitting myself out. I'm 5ft11 and 12stone. I was naturally a heavy rider but didn't take long to become a bit more fluid.

Anyway hope you can all help and look forward to riding with some of you.

have you considered the echo team?

I would get a 26" bike, make a change from the small wheels.

Stay around here for a while, and build yourself a custom bike from second hand parts, £500 should score you a good buy if you shop carefully.

i agree go stock, it will make a nice change. :)

http://www.echobike.com/team.htm

its nice. :)

Edited by jamiequin

Depends on what exactly you want to do, have a look at some videos on here, and, decide what riding you would like to do, street, bunnyhop/spin etc, or more pure trials, with big sidehops and front taps to backwheel.

If I was you, I'd get something short wheelbase, pretty flickable, that you can learn everything on, Planet-X Zebdi would be ok, it'l crack after a while but there dead cheap thesedays.

Threre light enough, they ride well too.

Something like this,For Sale in the forum would be a good start, middleburns like the guy is selling are also well worth buying, the'll last a lifetime.

Magura HS33's are still the brake in trials, for the rear anyway, wouldn't bother with one up front, most riders have a disk/v on the front these days.

As for the rest of the bike, cheap but quality stuff is easy enough to get.

Forks: Pashley etc, £25, non disk, very strong, steel, light, steel.

Headset: FSA Pig, get a new one, £15

Bar/Stem: I'd have riser bars, something like Easton EA50/70's, or Azonics.

Wheels: Whatever on the front, doesnt matter really, on the rear, Mavic EX721 (521) on a hope hub would be a good start, cost around £60 2nd hand.

Before just going along with people saying "Go Stock" etc etc, See if you can find someone with a Mod, and another with a Stock, have A little go on both, and whatever feels more comfortable go for that one.

But if you have already decided to go Stock, listen to Rich.

By what he's saying you could get A good, cheap bike built up.

And it's probably best to build your own, as it'll be for your style etc.

:)

Before just going along with people saying "Go Stock" etc etc, See if you can find someone with a Mod, and another with a Stock, have A little go on both, and whatever feels more comfortable go for that one.

But if you have already decided to go Stock, listen to Rich.

By what he's saying you could get A good, cheap bike built up.

And it's probably best to build your own, as it'll be for your style etc.

:)

I still haven't quite decided mod or stock. What's a good mod for the price?

On the mod side of things the T-Mag 2005 doesn't seem bad for the cash but has bad reviews about the ski-plate. I don't intend to jump onto it should that be a problem. A mate told me not to go onza and splash out a little more on the Monty 221pro. Don't know much about it. Any good.

BTW do pahley stil make their 26Mhz?

What about full builds. Either mod or stock?

everyone should ride mod - big wheels are silly and mean your bike won't fit in the back of a punto ( - its an important requirement for me anyway)

I reckon get a t-pro but ask the shop nicely to put the disk setup from a t-mag on it - shouldn't cost more than 500 or so. Well chuffed with mine so far..