Garden Gap Clips

Luke Drewery

Hey, I have just built a mini platform out of some old wood that i can use for gaps, and i wanted to try it out. Below is a clip of me doing a gap a bit over bikes length, could you give me pointers on my technique? How could i get further? I apologise for the crappy self filming.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated;

Garden Gap

Cheers, Luke. :)

Edited by scunnytrials

Seems good to me mate. Technique looks good.

Maybe try and drop the front more and really push down when you go, and make sure you take off from the edge of the obstacle.

Otherwise your looking good. :) Some people like to lift the bike in the air, but I like to go straight.

Your technique looks fine  :)

Cant see anything that needs changing except maybe preload abit more just before you go then really throw yourself towards the bars and take the bike with you  :)

And is that a sidehop bar I see  :lol:

Cheers, that could be used as a sidehop bar if you were awesome at sidehopping, but it isnt adjustable so you cant make it lower and its well over bar height! I just use a length of string between two objects, the highest i have done is 32" which i did yesterday. Not the highest but im going to keep practicing a couple of times a week until i get the elusive bar height!

Any more tips/comments? :)

Looks fine to me , Im the same. I find anything more than 2 foot past a bikes length really hard. I can gap fine it's just when it comes to bigger stuff I cant do it.

When I really give it some beans as well then I land it really hard and it sounds horrid, how the hell does anyone gap so far but so smoothly?

Nice one

Rob :P :huh:

Looks fine to me , Im the same. I find anything more than 2 foot past a bikes length really hard. I can gap fine it's just when it comes to bigger stuff I cant do it.

When I really give it some beans as well then I land it really hard and it sounds horrid, how the hell does anyone gap so far but so smoothly?

Nice one

Rob  :huh:  (Y)

I can gap quite far too, my record is 7 foot 2 from blue pallet to blue pallet at my friends house, i shall try and get a piccy to prove it for any one who thinks im lying. :P

When i gap really far though, particularly when the edge im landing on is sharp, i cant land smooth as i throw all my weight into it and force my bike forwards but i cant absorb this force when i land so i land hard. Any tips for this?

I doubt anyone will care, but here is a clip of me doing a bigger gap. Its only a few inches bigger and you can just tell that it is bigger from the clip. I got my king wheel the other day and its helped my gapping by quite a lot, much better than a hope! Sounds awesome when i gap too! Anyway, here it is. Please download and comment;

Gap

Try and get the motions a bit smoother. It was a bit "Drop the front, pedal back" *tiny pause* "kick". If you got it all flowing, you'd maximise the preload and it'd send you that bit further.

Try lifting the bike a little higher, then really placing the back wheel where you want to go. Really kick it out in front as much as you can.

I think you should stay a bit further back from the edge before you hop to the edge as a preload hop then go. Preload hops are essential for everything static in my opinion. Sidehops, gaps, rear wheels.

Just do a big preload hop, kick really hard and get as far over the rear wheel as humanly possible on the landing.

Everything else looks good :blink:

Second gap seems better because it looks like you use a bit more effort. Not much wrong with it though.

oh yea and i land heavy too, dont worry about it. Flat gaps are near impossible to absorb!

Edited by STEVE-0

I think you should stay a bit further back from the edge before you hop to the edge as a preload hop then go. Preload hops are essential for everything static in my opinion. Sidehops, gaps, rear wheels.

Just do a big preload hop, kick really hard and get as far over the rear wheel as humanly possible on the landing.

Everything else looks good  :blink:

Second gap seems better because it looks like you use a bit more effort. Not much wrong with it though.

oh yea and i land heavy too, dont worry about it. Flat gaps are near impossible to absorb!

Cheers for the replys guys, on the second gap i definately preload more which helped me get further. I dont like using a preload hop though as i find its better technique if you backhop right on the edge then squat down slightly before hopping. Its only really big gaps with sharp landings that i cant land smoothly on.

Yea, i dont know how you can...because you need to absorb the gap with your body but your body is being used to push out the bike so...

Gaps really depend on the takeoff, a drop gap will probably have a different take off technique to a straight one! Just do what gets you the furthest and practice a lot.

really chuck your body quickly into the bars, if you do it slowly, you wont gap very far.

than prepare for landing (Y)

Yeh i have been working on my technique lately, i have started to ull the bike up as well as across and it helps me to get further. I also lean back further to preload, which helps also. (Y)

Looks good, the only thing that I can think of that will get you further is to use your body more. Really crouch back and drop the front on pre-load, and then just throw yourself forwards with the bike. It looks likes your pretty much there though, just be patient and time will let you go bigger.

Dont be affraid to put some beans into it either!

Looks good, the only thing that I can think of that will get you further is to use your body more. Really crouch back and drop the front on pre-load, and then just throw yourself forwards with the bike. It looks likes your pretty much there though, just be patient and time will let you go bigger.

Dont be affraid to put some beans into it either!

I went for a ride today and pulled off some big drop gaps, the thing that i find helps the most is sucking the bike up under you as i get a lot further when i do this. Also, preloading is essential too to get further. (Y)