How Do I Get Rid Or Prevent My Hand Blisters?

gasgasrob125

gloves do make a bit of a difference, and so do the grips...

get some xc gloves and some foam grips and you'll be sorted.

also if you rip a callus off (you hard skin bits) wait till you've been in the bath...they swell up and you can hack at them with scissors or a razor blade (aldult supervision for those under 16 years old)

Keep riding with it and where gloves

You can also buy foam grips if it really annoys

But don't do anything about it because it will turn into hard meat and if it annoys Then you can just cut it away with a nail cutter

hope it helps

How many topics on this lol

Just deal with i just got my t-lite and its grips cane my hands but I will change to my mission grips they dont hurt them at all.

In conclusion ride with them gloves are (Y) I reckon they slip on the lever to much .

toby :blink:

How many topics on this lol

How many previous topics have you posted? everything been talked about before live wid it!!!

Let them build up the indeed as ^^^^ said hack them off with a razor-blade, i wouldnt say gloves help much, as there is still the same pressure on your hands and they still rub against you hand so..... (Y)

I can't afford to change grips lol saving up for cranks so live wid lol

5. How to deal with calluses?

The big trials problem: almost anyone riding enough (2-3 times a week for a few hours) will develop bad calluses (depending on gloves, grips and his specific riding style). It's a problem that no-one really managed to solve, but there are workarounds to make your life easier.

Let's list a few, with good and bad sides:

Manage calluses. Even if you won't use any of the following advices, don't ignore your calluses. In my experience, when I first start riding after a long pause, with nice soft hands, after two rides I develop blisters (bubbles under my skin). I don't puncture them, I pause for two or three days, and then ride carefully until the situation blows up, peels off and develops into hard skin (callous). Then it becomes easier if you ride regularly.

After a shorter pause, when hard skins just starts to peel off (or simply disappear), it's hard to start riding again because something very painful starts happening, and that's bubbles under hardened skin. I've found no workaround for this, except avoid shorter pauses or use one of pain-reducing techniques listed later.

Use pumice. In case you don't already know, pumice is a lightweight natural porous stone, sold for managing hardened skin or calluses, that by some chance even floats on water. There are few kinds of artificial substitutes, but artificial pumice-like materials work best for me, since it's hands we're talking about, and the one I've found is not as hard as natural pumice. Try different stiffnesses and see what's comfortable. Use it just to keep control over your blisters (soften them a bit), don't try to remove them completely.

Bad sides: hurts a bit, boring to do regularly (and you have to do it regularly).

Use crèmes. Using hand crèmes during night, applied to calluses in excessive quantities (white ponds of crème on your hands) usually make them softer, therefore easier to deal with. I've tried hydrating and fatty crèmes, and they both work differently, so I use them both, in turns. It's great to use combined with pumice.

Bad sides: if you're not careful, you can get the bed dirty. (Y))

Use padding. The best callous-reducing way by far is padding in your gloves, but it can sometimes sacrifice your performace (especially if you get gloves with gel implants). You can try and get long-fingered padded gloves, but I always felt feeling of the grip/handlebars was not as direct, meaning not as good for trials -- I couldn't twist the bars as effectively since padding would always bend and twist etc.

Then I thought of impossibly stupid but simple idea, which was to try and wrap a piece of cotton cloth around painful places (or even before they become painful). This helped, and the feeling of the handlebar was still very good, so I use this trick for almost every ride.

Why does this work? I think it's because:

(1) it eliminates direct rubbing of your hands against the grips and

(2) due to increased sweating, your hardened skin is always moist which makes it softer, therefore easier to deal with (hurts less, slows down further skin accumulation)

How come cloth doesn't slip off during the ride? If you install it properly, it almost certainly won't slip off or slide back. It never moved out of position for me. (read more about this later)

How to make it? Simple. I took a really thin piece of cotton cloth (almost transparent), from a thousand times rewashed piece of old T-shirt. I cut a long narrow strip (about 30cm/12" long), widened at one end. It looks something like this:

I put the wide part over my calluses, and wrap the long part between my fingers and one more times over calluses, then stick the end under any of the layers or just leave it hanging (if your gloves fit perfectly). I put on the gloves and that's it. It doesn't shift or move during the ride because it's wrapped between your fingers which keeps it from sliding backward, and you forget you have it on in a second.

You can design your own strip any way you want; I use this design because it works so I never bothered improving it, but I also tried plain rectangular form which worked pretty good too. (I've been using it for a few months now)

It's a good idea to keep the shape narrow and long, so that the whole thing doesn't get too fat when you wrap the strip around your fingers, and it's also good idea to find tender and thin cotton cloth. Using at least two layers when wrapping it around your hand is a good idea because one layer stays in place on your skin, and the other slides with glove material, so your hand doesn't have to endure constant rubbing. It seems friction is pretty low with thin cotton material. I suggest not using more than two or three layers so that your feeling of bars during the ride doesn't get lost in layers of material: you want to avoid twisting your bars three times as much to get desired effect.

The only bad side of all this is a small waste of time installing the strip before every ride.

Also, try rotating your bars slightly forward or backward, as if it isn't in the right place, it will put all the stress of pedalkicking/bunnyhopping/etc. on one point in your hand, and it hurts bad. I learnt this the hard way, and it helped A LOT to rotate my bars for just 1-2 degrees. (advice by Gardenfan from TO forum)

At the end: you can't expect to completely get rid of your hard skin or callouses because that would mean not ride trials. Instead, just make sure you have it under control using advices mentioned here, and just try to explain it to your girlfriend before she assumes different origin. ;-)

Read this on another site ages ago, a real good faq http://www.trials-online.com/trials-faq.php

for the whole thing.

Dont ride

idiot....... you get them from riding, as someone up there said they're your bodies way of protecting your hands. keep riding, dont wear gloves unless its either extreamley warm (sweaty grips) or extreamley cold (cold hands). gloves will protect your hand but one day you'll forget them and be so dependent upon threm it will hurt to ride.

get some decent grips, *enter* the rental atb grips. thin hard wearing, grippy to the maxxx. mark who i ride with who manages to destroy grips in about a quater of the time it takes everone else has had his around 4 months and they are just starting to show signs of wear :blink:. mine are on some bars in the shed but i intend to put them on my current bars as they are awesome. oh and theyre only like 7 quid or some other reasonable price. you can get them from all good motorbike shops, i got mine off "off road only". remember, the atb grips as the motobike grips will have a larger right hand side grip for the throttle.

hope this helps (Y)

idiot....... you get them from riding

hope this helps (Y)

emotions or speech cant be shown over the internet so I'll refrain from calling you misunderstood, I was being sarcastic, if hes gonna complain about the callises then dont ride or put up with it simple as.

Just ride with them...after time they become hard & bat-proof (I caught a bat in my apartment a while back - random, but true). Eventually you will be able to ride with/without gloves...I stopped riding for 2 years & still didn't have problems when I started again..

Derv