The Army

Joel

Hi all. I was thinking of going into the royal engineers after school or collage. Is there anyone in the forum that is in the army? Do you think it is worth going into for a career? Do you have problems leaving loved ones behind?

Joel :D

Edited by Joelio

CCF was enough for me..

Do you have a careers woman at school/college?

She helped a coupla my mates get into the army/navy, and they went to open days and met some senior dude and lalala.

Theres also recruitment places dotted around that can give info, admittedly it's gonna be one-sided but better than nothing eh.

Hey dude yea im in the army. I thought about going into the engineers but you can do any course in any regiment. At the moment im in the royal signals but looking into other regiments it sounds shit. I'm looking at the blues and royals which are the queens guards. If your joinning up after school you will proberly come to where i am at the moment, which is Army foundation college.

Its still a phase 1 trainning camp but it lasts a year and you do education.

You get used to leaving everyone back home the people you end up meeting become your new family, if you got any more questions just bm me mate.

P.s the army isn't royal because it went against the king back during the civil war :D

Edited by damo

What are the days like when trianing? What are the time of what you do? Are the people nice or are there some dick heads that piss you off?

Joel

TA isnt the army engineers though is it

The TA is part time so it is exactly the same but you get paid for what you do but if you do full time you get a certain amount each year even if you have 6 months leave :D

Joel

EDIT: Sorry i quoted completly the wrong thing. I know i said army but i was explaining what the ta is.

Edited by Joelio

What are the days like when trianing? What are the time of what you do? Are the people nice or are there some dick heads that piss you off?

Joel

The TA is part time so it is exactly the same but you get paid for what you do but if you do full time you get a certain amount each year even if you have 6 months leave :D

Joel

Mornings usually start at 6:00am but im lazy so i get up around 7:00am go breakfast then start work at 8:30 finish at 5:00pm. mondays i do guitar lessons and on thursday i go snowboarding all paid by the army of course. The weekend warriors or the T.A suck i no a few people in the ta and wish they'd joined the regs. Most of the section commanders can be dickheads but thats only if you piss them off. On our tactical exercise we didnt sleep for 5 days because someone left litter in our hourbour area. Any more questions just ask.

Damo

My dad was in the Royal Engineers for 22 years and said it was pretty good, it just got a bit...well crappy to him as he got closer to his 22 years he said, he is glad he is out of it now but enjoyed it at the beginning as it was something he wanted to do and keeps you fit, although he was only posted to 2 places i believe, we lived in Germany for a while then came back to be based at Colchester.

There is a few more questions... i am a man that likes his food, what is the food like? where are you based? how fit do you have to be?

Joel :sleeping:

The food here depends really sometimes its good then other times its fit for the bin. I most of the catering staff are exconvicts or people doing community service lol. As for fit wise just go out every other day running and riding a lot helps i found. But when you actually sign up and pass to recuit selection centre they give you a programme to follow. B)

Damo