Carbon Fibre Usage In Cars

Chris Mansbridge

ok... I am doing a Physics coursework project (at college) and am in desperate need of some help.

I have chose to study the material Carbon Fibre and its use in cars, yet I have not found any sites about how it is used and why (with sufficient details to support my work). [i need info like why the strength/ weight of the material makes it suitable and better than other materials (for example)]

I was hoping that people on the forum may know sites (or any other information sources) with information on the material which makes it suitable for use in cars.

Any help will be deeply appreciated, many thanks, Chris.

actual parts used on almost every car? or we talking hop-up wings, doors, spoliers, dash etc?

if just everyday parts, i think theres a push button in most distrubuters that are made out of carbon fibre, or most likey i'm totally wrong. i'm sure someone on here will know.

For various articles about the use of carbon fibre in F1 cars try here. Just type "carbon fibre" in the search box.

As for road cars, supercars are definately what you should be looking at. The Zonda, if I remember correctly uses cf for the main structural components of its chassis, a trait it shares with the Mclaren F1 and the Ferrari Enzo.

A while ago, in a performance car tuning mag, an american guy had totally modified a new civic with carbon.

He replaced the bonnet, front wings, front/rear bumpers, parts in the engine bay, doors and door cards, seats were raw carbon, spoiler and boot, also the speakers were installed in a carbon surround, steering wheel, dash and probly a few other things i have forgotten about.

Mainly used because of its strength an light weight.

F1 cars, and a lot of other race cars, use full carbon steering wheels.

Mclaren Merc SLR, the front end is made entirely of carbon, for a 'crumple zone'. Ask Prince Nas how good it is, he got out without a scratch!