Rear Disks, A Bit Of Advice Please People!?

HargrovesToby

Hiya there people,

im thinking of going rear disk on my Kot now as i have had no luck selling it and i wont split if people want to ask.

i am in need of a new rea rwheel and im thinking of getting a rear disk and was looking at the magura louise FR or just the normal one.

are they any good as i have never tried one and have only ridden hope mini's and formula before.

cheers people, any help appreciated.

toby

My 180mm Louise FR on the front is absolutly sh*t. Maybe I my pads are contaminated. I'll try new pads soon and if it doesn't help then it's bb7 for me. I wouldn't even think about one on the rear.

But you can't fit a bb7 to the Kot frame, it won't fit between the seat- and chainstays. I'd problably get a 180mm hope trials, as the 160mm one on the rear of my mates monty is really good.

it would make it a 160 on the back. not 203. i would personally use a hope trials disk, they seem to hold well.

halfords bike mechanic in da house...changing the way james porters bike rides and looks... :P

i wouldnt mind have a rear disc, i dont side hop that way either, so be allright. just need a frame to cope with it

I think Will arnold had a 180 front avid BB7 on the back (so a 203mm rear? :P ) He said it was absolutly amazing except it was a pain in the arse for sidehops cos he was right footed :P

same here, i can only hop left, haha! Better for my derailluer!

I'd recommend a Mono Trial. The mount on the KOT is at +20, so any other brake (that fits) will need a new rotor... however you can get the Hope all ready to fit and go (ie. a 180mm rotor supplied instead of the 160 it would be normally).

Plus, with EBC now working on red pads (following a tip off courtesy of a certain shop (Y) ), it can be even better! Dani Comas seems to get on with his alright too...

If you wanna wait a bit and see what its like Toby, I'll be getting a rear disc-ed KOT up and running as soon as I've got all the relevant bits together.

Adam

To be fair Adam Dani Comas didnt seem to get on well with his at all if you are refering to at the cycle show. His rear wheel was felxing all over the shop. Really bad. His rear wheel tension was sooooo bad it must have been horrible to ride.

If your going to go rear disk make sure your wheel is f**king tight and tensioned f**king well and keep it that way. Even like that it will still flex. I wouldnt run a rear disk because a rear maggie with grind and koxx blocks is just to good. At least your KOT frame is ideal for a rear disk if yoour going to try it out.

To be fair Adam Dani Comas didnt seem to get on well with his at all if you are refering to at the cycle show. His rear wheel was felxing all over the shop. Really bad. His rear wheel tension was sooooo bad it must have been horrible to ride.

The brake itself looked to be working great though - certainly felt good.

I agree about the rear wheel however - it was built really poorly with some zinc plated crap spokes, and 2x (Y) Awfully flexy. Nothing to do with the brake though...

Personally I swear by the avids, but you can't fit one into a kot without some serious bodging. I louises a while back and they were the f**king buisness, Increadible hold and modulation.

As has also been said, make sure you're wheelbuild is a lot stronger than ususal, try and find some kind of dishless hub like the profile, or if you want to wait, hopes Pro II will be out soon in a SS setup which also be completely dishless.

Rich

You can't use avid mechanicals on the back can you? As they don't fit due to them being too wide? Or am i talking out of my arse? (Y)

Naah they're fine, only problem with avids on the back is that they're huge so wont fit between seat and chain stay (Y)

heya people,

so its either a mono trials or a louise then,

i wouldnt worry about the wheelbuilds as ive got 2 of the best wheel builders out there doing mine, adam from tarty and also darren rawlings from chain reaction down my way, has done dt and aci work before,.

top notch guys.

cheers people,

Toby