Hope Headset Vs New Echo Headset?

RyanRs

Well , Hope's unit is long tried and tested , whereas I suspect not a single rider in the U.K has yet fitted / ridden a new Echo headset . That said , the Echo seems to be very well designed , and it's blue would be a perfect finishing touch to my Base .

I am surprised by this. My Hope headset is nice. I would agree with the denting thing, it's pretty soft metal, but it's never affected the performance for me. But if lots of people are saying don't get a Hope, then don't. The Hed Doctor thing is pretty useless - Heavier than a starnut (Which works fine anyway) and won't work with all forks. Get an FSA skypilot or something. They are good, and a fair bit cheaper than a Hope :blink:

how about any of them? it's a headset. who cares?

because depending on what you do on your bike, headsets can die.. and if your like me, spending all day smashing the front tyre into stupidly high walls trying to backwheel them, and doing front hops into drop offs , then if the headset is shit, its gona die quick... and possably flare the headtube at the same time..

i put a lot of demand on my headsets, as i love reverse endo tricks, like g-turns, squeekers etc... i usually use Fsa Orbit XL II headsets, but they die after about 6 months.... i have snapped the top cup off the bit that slides in the frame on 2 orbit headsets.. but for there mild reliability, i have stuck with them.... but now i wana try sumin else..

think it mite be Echo headset then, the rest of there stuff seems prity ace :blink:

Edited by RyanRs

So that makes 2 of us who love our Hopes then :lol:

Mines perfect, although I can say I havent smashed the back of it into a rail yet, god I hate rails.

Mines been on my echo and now my BT, been perfect, never serviced it in any way and it's given me nothing but sexual pleasure. Just get one there sexy :blink:

my hope WAS perfect till i found out how easy they dent (trying to chainring stall a rail to fakey, god it dented so easy, and there was only the weight of the bike behind it.... gone to CK and i'm well happy B)

if you do want a good headset for cheap though i would recomend a FSA orbit XLII.. i had mine for a good 4 years, then the bearings gave up on me, the cups took a good beating aswell :-

I hope that the new echo ones are better than the old ones, just got one for £35 and they're pretty shod, it keeps coming loose then tightening again, and its creaky, can anyone help me out to save me making a thread on this...

Cheers dudes,

Nathan... (Y)

I have a hope head set in my jump bike works fine feels nice i wood go for the hope mate

on jump bikes the headset cups dont take the same amount of abuse as smashing the back of it into a rail when coming short on a rail gap (for example)

If you guys really want the Chris', I see them at by the lot at local shops, I could ask them if they would ship it overseas.

best way to get a king into the UK is to go to ebay.com (not .co.uk) and search for "chris king" and find the "aspire velotech" guys... really cheap + fast delivery from the USA to UK.. its where i got mine (Y)

i recommend hope all the way, although the best headsets they made, they discontinued..................the enduro model, this was the taper roller bearing model, more adjustability than the xc model headset, but slightly heavier,

i would advise a hope over a king simply because of the price difference, plus it is british made, you cannot beat hopes machining quality...........

hope all the way................

ash

i have been using a £5 quid no-name headset for 14 or 15 months now. It is not very smooth but it's not broken or dented. I can't do anything but tap on my bike. I'd like a King one, but I don't feel the need for one. I can't understand how you kill headsets..