Thread Tapping

Brian Bleech

hello :)

I have a stem that one of the threads is completely stripped. I have a tap and die kit, but the last time I used it was a few years ago and I am forgetful....

The stem bolts are 4mm so do:

a ) tap a 4mm thread

b ) tap a 5mm thread (obvisously use a 5mm bolt)

c ) drill out the hole to 5mm and tap it with a 5mm thread

d ) drill out to 4.5mm and tap it with a 5mm thread

any help would be great :)

mike

Edited by leedstrials

the tapping drill for an m6 screw is 5mm,

the tapping drill for a m5 thread is 4.2mm,

when you say the stem bolts are 4mm do you mean that is the allen key size you are using? because if it is then the bolts is m5 thread, therefore you need to be drilling 5 mm and tapping m6, the m6 thread should hold a lot better due to the size

although by the sounds of it you want to be tapping out to accommodate an m6 screw

ash

Edited by trialnoir

If your not sure then grab the origonal bolt from the stem and see if it screws into the metal coil. If it fits then the kit u have is fine for the job. If you stripped the thread then u shouldnt need to drill it out.

This is simple the experiance I had when I heli coiled my mono trial front brake.

James, I don't think he has a helicoil set.

It's probably an M5 thread then, so you'll want to go to M6. As Ash said, tapping drill is 5mm, so you should be able to tap with an M6 tap straight away. Not sure if it would be M6x0.75 or M6x1.00 (different pitch sizes), although I'm sure someone here can set you straight.

helecoiling is only a short term solution really until you get yourself a new stem

Rubbish.

When Yamaha first started making their TZ road racing (motorbike) frames out of aluminium, they heli-coiled the threads because they needed the same strength as a thread in a steel frame. A helicoiled thread is stronger than a normal thread. Why? Because it is a larger diameter thread and the insert stays still. I stripped both bolts out of a stem and I had it helicoiled and then I could really wind the bolts up tight.