Frame Design

c.kezer

Word (Y)

You seem to be posting alot, possibly trying to get validated with that repeat of a "How to bleed, Magura style" post. But this single post, or any post of this type is like having a small cake that is validation, eating that cake would get you validated, but now you just took a dump on it, so don't expect to be eating it soon.

You seem to be posting alot, possibly trying to get validated with that repeat of a "How to bleed, Magura style" post. But this single post, or any post of this type is like having a small cake that is validation, eating that cake would get you validated, but now you just took a dump on it, so don't expect to be eating it soon.

No, sorry to disapoint you, I just have way too much time on my hands, hence my heavy overposting + the weather is too shit to ride in

Edited by deanie-b

3DS Max is a 3D modelling programme if you only want basic stuff without putting in perfect gemoetry and lengths etc.

I know how to put precise measurements into max (Y) - then again I've been using it since 96

Max costs thousands of pounds - unless you steal it, which is a sin.

Gmax is a cut down version of max which is free - i doubt you'd be very interested in the missing bits

There's also Maya PLE - free cut down version of Maya

autocad would be your best bet - again, thousands of punds & stealing is a sin

solidworks ive never used but i have heard some good things about it. - dunno what that costs either though.

Dont expect to learn these things in a week, we're talking months to figure out properly and years to master. Im still learning every day and i started almost 10 years ago

Any form of CAD package (AutoCAD, Solidworks, Catia, Unigraphics and many more) would allow you to create a model of a frame, though I'm dubious about accuracy of simulating stresses due to fact that frames are welded and this is a notoriously difficult area to accurately analyse.

I'd steer clear of programs like Max and Maya (and other 3D graphics packages) as while they are awsome at modelling, they are often too complex for engineering applications (though there are a few exceptions as always).

If I had to choose one program to use, I'd recommend Solidworks. It's pretty easy to get the hang of and is one of the most user friendly packages I've used. Though the £8000 plus price tag may put some people off :)

As for aquiring these programs, free versions of mid to high end packages are pretty much non-existant so your only real option is to either find someone with a copy of what you want or to download a copy the many unscrupulous methods we have around us :S

on journeyedeurope.com they have student edition of solidworks on there for under £200 depending on which package you decide on getting.

my mate brought it over the summer when he was doing a summer placement. I dont know the difference between the proffesional and student edtion. there didnt seem to be anything major missing from it, so maybe theres just some extra add-ons on the more expensive version.

Generally student editions have exactly the same functionality as their industrial counterparts, and Solidworks is no exception. The companies sell the student editions at a loss, hoping that by getting students to use their program whilst studying, it may generate sales when they move on into industry.

The only real limitation placed on the student software is that anything you model in it cannot be opened in the industrial version and vice versa.

The Solidworks site give an rrp of $99 which is very good for CAD package, but you do have to prove that you are studying at degree level to be able to purchase it.