How Much Is My Frame Worth?

am4zin

hey,

i got back home from university this week and ive been to my local bike shop to ask about changing the bottom bracket and headset from my current frame (the mongoose) to a 2nd hand frame i brought from this forum ages ago.

the guy in there has said he'll change everything from my old bike to the new one for £35, but will do a deal if i include my old frame, which is less then 6 months old and hasnt got any dents or major scratches.

How much would it be if i sold the frame myself?

cheers,

dan

hey,

i got back home from university this week and ive been to my local bike shop to ask about changing the bottom bracket and headset from my current frame (the mongoose) to a 2nd hand frame i brought from this forum ages ago.

the guy in there has said he'll change everything from my old bike to the new one for £35, but will do a deal if i include my old frame, which is less then 6 months old and hasnt got any dents or major scratches.

How much would it be if i sold the frame myself?

cheers,

dan

about 70 quid mate

All you need is a 9mm allen key and a bb tool that costs like £5 why not just do it yourself. But let him do the headset.

i was originally going to leave just headset, bb and cranks on the bike, because you need both the bb tool and crank extractor to take off the bb - tools i dont have.

the guy in the shop said he'd charge an extra tenner (bringin price now up to £30/35) to move everything from one frame to the other. this didnt sound to bad but it was his offer about including the old frame into the deal that sounded crap, because he made it sound like the frame was worth less then £35.

dan

It really would be worth your while getting tools and doing as much of it as you can yourself.

you can get a crank extractor for £3 and there so useful, ok a BB tool maybe a tenner but it will still prove its worth over time. headset, fair enough let the shop do that.

To fit a headset straight into a new frame they shouldnt charge more than a tenner, as its a 5 min job just needs an expensive tool anda bit of care. however, if they are reaming and facing the head tube first, then expect a bill of about £25.

I ust buy a tool when i need it, then i have it if i need to use it again. Its good bieng able to work on your own bikes. i love building my bikes as much as i like riding them. (probably even more lol :$ )