maggies are ok

good points:

can be powerful

brake will feel the same no matter how much the hose gets wrapped up

more frames with 4 bolt mounts

Bad points

bad quality

non adjustable spring tension

spairs harder to find (say if the hose bursts out riding)

bleading harder than fitting a new cable

harder to set up

pads wobble and wear uneavenly

I am deffo a vee person, dont lecture me about maggies being more powerful, I won a world round using a vee when everyone else was on maggies!

Good points:

more powerful (especially backwards!)

adjustable spring tension

lighter

pads dont wobble

cables are easire to replace

GREAT quality (ultimates)

more spairs available (all bikeshops have cables)

more adjustability

bad points

cables bind when bent lots

not as many frames with vee mounts

yeah ali, get them told :) - also my vee is a lot easier to pull, then any maggie i have tried, which all feel horrible and stiff/sluggish

So is that why no pro frames have v-brake mounts i wonder why

this is mainly because maguras used to be the most powerful rim brake around (back in the early nineties) and so loads on good pads got developed for them and then they became the standard on trials bikes. Up until recently you haven't really been able to get great vee pads but now, mainly thanks the heatsink you can. Also other improvements such as the avid ultimate and odyessy linear slic cable have made vee brake, basically awesome.

quite a few people have commented on how great my brake is and said they would love a brake like that, but when it comes down to it they won't make the change...

trials rider eh... stuck in there ways :turned:

there's no denying a vee can be super b*****d shit hot, better than a maggie even - IF you spend close to £100 on it AND set it up really well

but...

if you're a lazy arse like me and can't be arsed to fiddle with your bike until somethings fallen off it you're a lot better off with a maggie.You don't suffer problems with cable stretch and you don't suffer problems with muck & stuff in your cables making the brake feel shit (this is more of a hydro versus cable thing really).

Maggies are fit & forget brakes that work really well, they're easier to set up than a vee and require much , much less maintenance

The major downsides with them apart from finding parts are the tendency towards a lack of modulation and f**king minging levers (all the levers not just one particular year)

Clearly hs33's are massive in the world of Trials. I have seen them only in a good light as they feel firm and reliable. However, while out riding today the lever of my friends magura broke. It was a relatively modern version but inside the lever the metal snapped at the solid metal tube. This was fairly surprising as it was quite a large piece of metal to just snap in two, which ruined the days riding. So, in conclusion, they are brilliant brakes but understandably things can go wrong.

Phil