Bedding In My Disk.

B.E.A.U

hay guy and girls. i have had a new rotor and pads about 2 or 3 weeks ago and i have tried to bed them in by heating up the rotor then putting cold water on. didnt work. i then got some hope cleaner and this made t worse. i have tried the water one many of times but my brake is still like a dead moose. does anyone know what to do. thanks.

Beau

fly along fast, then try to attemp a stoppie, this will heat both rotor and pads, then chuck some cold clean water on, and repeat it around 5 times, it should work the (Y)

Im going to do mine later as i bought a new rotor the other day (Y)

how were you heating the rotor up? a blow tourch? cause that doesnt work, cause you need both pads and rotor to bed in with each other, by getting them both hot ect...

it took me one day of riding to bed in a louise brake.

i think the best you should have done was to leave it alone and just keep riding.

if you use a post mount brake caliper with an IS adapter, make sure the caliper is in line with the disc. i once had a bb7 which didn't work at all - rearranged the caliper and in a matter of minutes the brake was working extra well.

good luck :)

Check around your caliper make sure there has been no fluid leaking out of the caliper. Make sure the bleed nipple is tight because if there has been a leak you could have got fluid onto the the rotor or pads, if thats the case, clean the rotor and its new pads unfortunalty. Once a pad is contaminated no matter how new its ballsed and the brake wont work properly.

If there has been no leaks and the rotor and pads are fine, just make the caliper is properly centred and keep riding with the brake on to help it bed in. As 'wayneone' said the cold weather can slow the process down.

Cheers.

i am running a normal mono mini rotor and pads. i have tried to do the heat it up and cool it down system many times but it still isnt working, and it isnt leaking because its just been rebled. but when i put the brake on it makes a hirible noise. i may take it back to the shop and see what they say.

thanks for the help guys.

beau.

beau it's quite common for disk brakes to make horrible noises when they're contaminated with oil, dot fluid or a different oil based product. i have only heard of one setup to squeak - a plazmatic rotor on plazmatic pads. your brake should be dead silent, or produce a high pitch sound when braking, but is probably making a noise as if somebody was tearing his throat out. go take it to the shop, there's bound to be something wrong with it. if indeed it's contaminated with oil and not a byproduct of your strange bedding in process, the shop should replace the brake for you.

i still think its best to sacrifice that one day of riding to bed it in naturally, just riding trials. :)

Edited by Inur

beau it's quite common for disk brakes to make horrible noises when they're contaminated with oil, dot fluid or a different oil based product. i have only heard of one setup to squeak - a plazmatic rotor on plazmatic pads. your brake should be dead silent, or produce a high pitch sound when braking, but is probably making a noise as if somebody was tearing his throat out. go take it to the shop, there's bound to be something wrong with it. if indeed it's contaminated with oil and not a byproduct of your strange bedding in process, the shop should replace the brake for you.

i still think its best to sacrifice that one day of riding to bed it in naturally, just riding trials. :)

ok mate thanks for the help i will take it back if it doesnt go away. i dont know how it could get contaminated. ive been ill so i havent rode. im taking it back asap. thanks for the help everyone.

Beau (Y)

I recon halfords have contaminated it when they were bleeding the brake, all you need to do is boil them. Or beau do it your way take it back to halfords :D

Cheers,

Tom.

Warm water and fairy liquid works about twice aswell. The detergent breaks down the oil allowing you to wipe it off.