64bit Windows - Worth Installing?

tomturd

Well to be truthfull. it's not worth installing it just yet, as its really hard to find hardware drivers complatible with it. ive got it installed on a second HDD, yet i do not use it as i cant find any drivers, if you want to give it a go, you can get a 180day trials off microsoft.com. Mind you.. if you can find me a driver for my Netgear wg111v2 wireless network adapter, i will be very gratefull

Edited by Hoot

I know there were problems with drivers for quite a lot of hardware earlier on but they've probably addressed most of the major ones by now - its been quite a while.

I'm going to be benchmarking some stuff on a 64bit Xeon / quadroFX system with xp64 sometime over the next few weeks at work so i can let you know how that goes (assuming i remember to post back). We do gamey things at work so it's likely to be the sort of results most people are interested in..

I know there were problems with drivers for quite a lot of hardware earlier on but they've probably addressed most of the major ones by now - its been quite a while.

I'm going to be benchmarking some stuff on a 64bit Xeon / quadroFX system with xp64 sometime over the next few weeks at work so i can let you know how that goes (assuming i remember to post back). We do gamey things at work so it's likely to be the sort of results most people are interested in..

But i can bet my life that they won't!

hmm, this has been something i've been considering as i've now got a 64-bit opteron, can all 32-bit apps run in it, or do some have problems? Drivers wise i shouldn't have a problem as my motherboard is fully 64-bit supported for drivers :) and apart from that i only have a gfx and wireless network card (guarentee the net card wont have drivers available though, but i only use it at home).

Am about to get an old 20 gig hd back off my gran so might whack it on there and see how it runs.

Apparently the Source engine now runs in 64 bit, even in 32 bit windows, if you have the right CPU. To be honest though, I've not used the 64 bit capabilities of my computer which I've had for 18 months now. It's still way faster than an Athlon XP though, so it doesn't really matter :)

Apparently the Source engine now runs in 64 bit, even in 32 bit windows, if you have the right CPU. To be honest though, I've not used the 64 bit capabilities of my computer which I've had for 18 months now. It's still way faster than an Athlon XP though, so it doesn't really matter :)

Source engine taking advantage of it sounds good.

Apparantly there are some significant gains for 32-bit apps in the 64-bit windows environment, oh well, ill be able to try it out soon :)

theres a version of win xp pro in 64-bit

im pretty sure there will be both a 32 and 64 bit version of vista, although there were rumours of it being 64 bit only a while back. There are 32 bit drivers for vista on my mobo manufacturers website though so it should be both.

I've got a full set of drivers for all my hardware now bar my bt wireless card which i dont use at uni anyway, so ill be having a play and let you know the results in a few days (Y)

i ran windows 64bit server edition for bout 5 months and have moved back to windows 32bit as i lost it. driver wise i was completly fine but i would wait another 6 months at least to take full advantage of it. running benchmarks on it and did not make no gain in games to that were actually noticable but while in windows the speed gain was very noticable with a few big tweaks, plus its actually pretty damn stable. im going to wait for another 6 months before i use it again though!!

Stav

Well, so far it seems to be going ok, all the drivers have installed fine and there were the drivers for my wireless card in the standard install set so no issues there. The only program i've found that doesn't work so far seems to be the free avg antivirus. Ill spend a bit more time playing with it at some point and installing all my CAD/CAE programs to see if there are any advantages to be had with them.

Initial impressions are that windows does run very well indeed with less lag than the 32bit version, it may just be the fresh install with no crap in it yet, but well see as i get everything i usualy use up and running.

Well, so far it seems to be going ok, all the drivers have installed fine and there were the drivers for my wireless card in the standard install set so no issues there. The only program i've found that doesn't work so far seems to be the free avg antivirus. Ill spend a bit more time playing with it at some point and installing all my CAD/CAE programs to see if there are any advantages to be had with them.

Initial impressions are that windows does run very well indeed with less lag than the 32bit version, it may just be the fresh install with no crap in it yet, but well see as i get everything i usualy use up and running.

Well i cant get drivers for none of my wireless adapters. what a bitch, oh well, im sure ill survive lol! Hope it all goes well mate!

just some friendly notice that i found with avg the free version is that it atually installs spyware on your comp when u install it . . . they installed a keylogger on mine . . . i would never go for a free ANTI-VIRUS program on my machine i always use ad-aware and microsoft beta version anti-spyware and never had nothing on my mahine that has messed it up for over a year no i found avg a rubbish program.

Stav