Problem : Contaminated Disc?

Mitch A

This is the best argument for wearing a helmet - failure to wear leads to banging head followed by sever cognitive problems. This then leads to some of the most ridicules replies to a topic ever created by man.

Jesus some of you people on here need their friggin heads checked! (But thanks for the laugh)

Oil on a car disc?

Burning rotors?

DISHWASHERS!!!?

Even removal of Rotor!! > NOT NEEDED

Just clean the friggin rotor in place, good chance the pads are a right off though.

Now for the science bit:

A solvent is a solution that breaks down the essential properties of paints and varnishes, lacquer, shellac, oils, grease and adhesive residues. There are many different kinds of solvents, each performing a specific reaction (function) with a specific product. All solvents, except for water, have a toxic effect on organic tissue, biochemical, physicochemical and neurochemical. Use with care and always dispose of properly.

Turpentine:

Turpentine is an effective solvent for oil and alkyd based paints and varnishes, and removing tar, grease and tree sap.

Mineral spirits (White spirits):

Mineral spirits is a petroleum-based product. Mineral spirits is an oil based solvent ideally used for thinning oil based exterior and interior varnishes, such as oil varnish , and paint products, as well as an efficient solvent for artist’s oil paints. (NOTE: Leaves more residue)

Either of them would be OK but I'd suggest MukOff if you don't have any soapy water (thoroughly rinsed and cleaned) and if that doesn't work some Turps.

Thinking top myslef "Just how old is the average age on this forum?"

Edited by MesaMan

This is the best argument for wearing a helmet - failure to wear leads to banging head followed by sever cognitive problems. This then leads to some of the most ridicules replies to a topic ever created by man.

Jesus some of you people on here need their friggin heads checked! (But thanks for the laugh)

Oil on a car disc?

Burning rotors?

DISHWASHERS!!!?

Even removal of Rotor!! > NOT NEEDED

Just clean the friggin rotor in place, good chance the pads are a right off though.

Now for the science bit:

A solvent is a solution that breaks down the essential properties of paints and varnishes, lacquer, shellac, oils, grease and adhesive residues. There are many different kinds of solvents, each performing a specific reaction (function) with a specific product. All solvents, except for water, have a toxic effect on organic tissue, biochemical, physicochemical and neurochemical. Use with care and always dispose of properly.

Turpentine:

Turpentine is an effective solvent for oil and alkyd based paints and varnishes, and removing tar, grease and tree sap.

Mineral spirits (White spirits):

Mineral spirits is a petroleum-based product. Mineral spirits is an oil based solvent ideally used for thinning oil based exterior and interior varnishes, such as oil varnish , and paint products, as well as an efficient solvent for artist’s oil paints. (NOTE: Leaves more residue)

Either of them would be OK but I'd suggest MukOff if you don't have any soapy water (thoroughly rinsed and cleaned) and if that doesn't work some Turps.

Thinking top myslef "Just how old is the average age on this forum?"

Well nobody in this thread has mentioned anything about burning rotors! that would just be plain silly. Magura tell you to clean a rotor in hot water with washing up liquid and Hope actually advise you to clean a disc rotor properly by placing it in the dishwasher.

advising people to put white spirits on a disc brake is very wrong indeed. it just leaves a greasy film on the rotor and after that the brake loses all its power. DO NOT PUT WHITE SPIRITS ON YOUR ROTOR!!

And i did exactly as i said in my post further up there to my own disc brake the other night and it worked much better than most of the suggestions i had about how to get it working again, so i know it works!