Problem : Contaminated Disc?

Mitch A

Hey,

I was leaving to go riding earlier and i found my dad had accidently sprayed WD40 on my disc rotor.

It does not grip no where near like it used to. How can i make it better again as in what shall i use to sort it out or replace bits.

Its a Hope Mono Trial 160 mm if that helps at all.

Cheers for the help

Mitch

No need to remove it. Just hose it down, then clean with warm soapy water, then hose down thoroughly, dont leave any residue.

Then take the pads out and get a blow torch, and flame them for a while. Not to long, but you will see when yoou do it, they burn like little red bits, and when it is done there arent any left, if you understand me.

You can do a search on the subject too

I’d say the same as JIX. Clean the rotor with some warm water and washing up liquid and burn the WD40 off the pads with a blow torch. If you don’t have a blow torch just replace the pads and clean the rotor as already mentioned.

Wolfie

i just stick my rotor in washing up bowl and take pads of and rub them on a flat bit of wet and dry. that works just as well then put back together and then pour water over the caliper and rotor ride as fast as you can and slam the break on. then do it again but just dab it on and off till it dries due to heat and should work dandy :)

Mine was like this up until two days ago when i sorted iot out. Here's basically what i did to it and it has made it absolutely awesome.

Take your wheel out and then take the brake pads out of the disc brake.

Take the pads into the kitchen and turn on one of the gas rings on the hob. Hold the pads with pliers or something else that will result in your hand not getting burnt, and hold them in the flames after a while they will start to smoke and you will most likely see little sparkles of bright light burn from them. I burnt mine for approxiamtely 2 minutes. Do this for both the pads.

Get hold of a saucepan and fill it with water. Then put that on the gas ring and let the water get hot. Drop the pads in and leave them in there to boil, mine were in there for around 20 minutes to make sure it worked.

At the same time as the pads are boiling you can bring your wheel in (you can use wire wool as well just to take the majority of the crap off the rotor but this is optional) and put some washing up liquid on a clean or preferrably a brand new cloth or sponge. Just put a little washing up liquid on it and rub it in to make sure you won't have too much washing up liquid on there, just a slight bubbly mix ias all you need.

Proceed to clean off the disc rotor with the washing up liquid and then get a clean dry cloth to dry off the excess moisture when its been thoroughly cleaned. At this point your pads should be about done.

Take the saucepan off the gas ring and pour the hot water into the sink. then pour some cold water into the saucepan just to cool tha pads off a bit so you will be able to hold them.

Wipe the surface of the brake pads on a clean dry cloth, i used a teatowel but do so at your own risk of raging mother syndrome. You should find theres a load of black muck thats smeared onto the cloth at first, but after a good rubbing this black brake crap will be pretty much gone and you pads will now be ready for putting back on the bike.

Re-attach the neccessary parts and bed the brake in as normal. Just hold the brake slightly as you ride around (not so it locks up) and when it starts to get noticeable more grippy pour some cold water on it, you should get a load of hissing and steam from it if you got it hot enough. Then ride around with the brake slightly omn again to clear the water off and wait for it to cool down again.

That should be it then, you'll have a nice working front disc brake!

have fun

Jesus Wept.... are you all mental....

I hope none of you every have a leaking brake caliper on your car. I can see you all trying to squeeze the fooking whole front wishbone suspension and disc into a bowl of water in your kitchen, while screaming...

"No, No, Its alright mum, it works, I read it on the internet"

If you have WD40 on your rotor, just use a degreasing agent, maybe thinners, Christ, even vinegar would also work. You don't need to boil the thing.... its the stupidest idea I have ever heard, a pure exercise is wasting time :S Boiling it won't displace WD40.... WD... Water Displacer ... Water can't displace it... ring any bells. Washing up liquid has degreassing properties, but its also soapy, and leaves a fine film, unless thoroughly rinsed.

Again boiling pads won't remove any WD40 from them :angry: if its penatrated the compound, your not going to coax it out with water. The pads will pretty much be a write off. Using regular unleaded petrol on a cloth would help to considerably clean the surface, but again.... if its penatrated.

I hope none of you every have a leaking brake caliper on your car. I can see you all trying to squeeze the fooking whole front wishbone suspension and disc into a bowl of water in your kitchen, while screaming...

If you have WD40 on your rotor, just use a degreasing agent, maybe thinners, Christ, even vinegar would also work. You don't need to boil the thing.... its the stupidest idea I have ever heard, a pure exercise is wasting time :S Boiling it won't displace WD40.... WD... Water Displacer ... Water can't displace it... ring any bells. Washing up liquid has degreassing properties, but its also soapy, and leaves a fine film, unless thoroughly rinsed.

Again boiling pads won't remove any WD40 from them :angry: if its penatrated the compound, your not going to coax it out with water. The pads will pretty much be a write off. Using regular unleaded petrol on a cloth would help to considerably clean the surface, but again.... if its penatrated.

Thats why you burn them first, believe me it works. and seeing as its not a car and the wheel can be taken out by undoing a bolt or quick release skewer its not really that hard is it? The boiling isn't neccesarily for the wd-40 but for any other crap that might be on the pads as well... in my case it was brake fluid that had been put onto the pads from my old dirty rotor. But burning the pads should get rid of the wd_40 because it should evaporate or just plain blow the shit out of most of it.

Also ignoring the fact that car disc brakes are meant to have an oily residue, to stop the cast iron discs rusting. :-

isnt car fuel a form of light oil?

to do with fraction distillation and all. just like oil but lighter?

maybe im talking shit but meh.

all you need to do is get a car of disc brake cleaner and follow the instructions :)

sanding the pads before and after using the disc brake cleaner tends to work as the wd-40 wont have penetrated the whole of the pad.

yer, it does mean the brake has to bed in again but it doesent exactly take long :)

Will