Truing Wheels?

Jaffacakes

I have got a back wheel that isn't really very true, and I was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how do it, it has got a strange wheel build which I can't really explain so here is a picture. It save's paying my LBS about £30 to do it.

Cheers guys.

IPB Image

And yes... I have an amazing camera :ermm: .

Basic rule i folllow is:

tighten spokes on the left and it will pull the rim over to the left

tighten spokes on the right and it will pull the rim over to the right

(Y)

just sit down turn your bike upside down or lean it vertical so its standing on your bars...

and just spin your wheel...

then spend time concentrating on your rim looking for what side it "buckles" to...

hope you get your wheel true

Its radial one one side and 3 cross on the other...

Read this -

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#tensioning

Dont worry about one side being radial and one 3 cross, it shouldnt really matter, basically tightening the spokes on the radial side will pull the rim over to the radial side of the hub, and vice versa - but theres a little more to it than that - read the link :)

EDIT:

Before I started using a spoke tensiometer, I used to keep a cassette in my toolbox on which I had recorded my piano playing an F#, a good average reference tone for stainless spokes of usual length.

Just thought id highlight that for comical value.

Yeh man my Rear wheel is like that too, I believe the non-drive saide is done 'Radially' but havn't a clue about the drive side.

Regardless, all you need is a spoke key and the ability to find out where the buckle is.

If the wheel bumps to the left every revolution, find the area that goes to the left and tighten the spokes connected to the right hand side of the hub(around the buckle), pulling the wheel true again.

Best to do this in very small steps until you know exactley what your doing. Or if you can, do it on a friend's/siblings/shitty old wheel before you go destroying your wheelbuild.

Does anyone know the reasons or advantages between differant spoke patterns?

This is how i unbuckle my wheels.

Stage 1

Turn bike upside down, and put somefign were seat WOULD be, and spin wheel, look at the pads and you will be able to see where the buckle is.

Stage 2

Once you have found buckle, You will see that half the spokes are on 1 side of rim and the other half on the other side. So if the buckle is going to the right, tigten spokes on left, so it will pull wheel back into line. And if buckle goes other wise tigten spokes on the right.( turn a turn or half a turn at a time depending on how bad buckle is and how lose spoke is might have to turn it a load of times).

Stage 3

Spin wheel and check if its done anyfing if not repeat, if it has done something look at the rest of wheel and make sure that it hasnt put buckles any were else.

Stage 4

GO RIDE

hope this helped cheers wilky

dont think i missed anything out.

Tools needed

Spoke key