Pc And Mac?

Walleee

Following the PC or Mac thread I decided to have a quick look around the interweb to see just how much Mac's are going for these days.

I've found an old Imac 233mhz for £55, in good condition and running without a problem.

I recently got a new PC, so im not going to be using exclusively a mac, infact I might end up using it very rarely. My younger brother has just started secondary school and needs something for typing up projects and also could do with a bit of internet access.

Mainly what im wanting to know, without having to go to a gayo computer forum, is would the aforementioned Imac be suitable for word processing, Internet Browsing, and perhaps a bit of music playing along with MSN and perhaps a filesharing program?

Having an internet connection at the minute, i'd hope to perhaps get a wireless network on the go and simply share the internet connection, is this something that can be done between a PC and an Imac, and if so, how difficult is it to do?

Ideally i'd be asking 2+1 nick this on MSN, but I havn't seen him online in a few days...

Nick has probably told you that it'll be faster than a Dual-Core Athlon 4800+ though. I wouldn't bother, think of a 233MHz PC, they are OLD.

Um no. I didn't. Obviously it wouldn't you tard.

Old iMacs are f**king old. It's 233 M H Z for god's sake. For what he wants itll probably be alright. A system on OSX would be much much better for what he wants though. Especially as then it can support Airport for their wireless networking.

Whoa easy Tiger (Pun intended :lol: ). Nah I was just joking, you are right, those are old and probably not worth bothering with (Y)

In fact I would say anything older than Panther (or maybe Jaguar) probably isn't worth bothering with unless you really love old macs. I know 10.1 had a few compatibility problems, whereas Panther is a sweet OS.

That computer would be shit, I guarantee it, the screens on those are rubbish, and they arent fast either.

Save up and get something better.

Hate to burst your bubble too nick but an imac of that generation only supports 802-11b wireless which is f**king crap, its all my powerbook has and its a pain in the arse. Look for something 500mhz or faster ideally. My Powerbook g4 550 is definitely good enough for day to day tasks, which is why its perfect as my mobile work crusher :)

In fact I would say anything older than Panther (or maybe Jaguar) probably isn't worth bothering with unless you really love old macs. I know 10.1 had a few compatibility problems, whereas Panther is a sweet OS.

I thought apple said every new edition of OSX ran faster than the last? Surely you can update the old ones to the latest if thats the case.

That computer would be shit, I guarantee it, the screens on those are rubbish, and they arent fast either.

Save up and get something better.

Hate to burst your bubble too nick but an imac of that generation only supports 802-11b wireless which is f**king crap, its all my powerbook has and its a pain in the arse. Look for something 500mhz or faster ideally. My Powerbook g4 550 is definitely good enough for day to day tasks, which is why its perfect as my mobile work crusher :)

What f**king bubble.

The screen on my iMac f**ked up. They're shit and old. I wouldn't buy one. I told him that. Simple-as.

I'd buy something near 1ghz or faster to be honest. My old iMac did run OSX okay but it'd be much better if it. For f**k's sake. I don't think all Mac products are good. They make good stuff and bad stuff. Their old stuff compared to the new stuff is utterly shit to be honest.

I wish people would stop being knobs and expecting me to 'bum' apple products. Most of the new stuff they're brought out is sorted. The old stuff isn't as good compared at all!

Anyway. Partytime.

Nick

Whats the compatability of office type programs on a mac, are they interchangable with ms office?

Is that some sort of sick joke?

macs for people who are to spasicated to use proper menus without a icon less than 500x500 in diameter be a real man and use the terminal

macs for people who are to spasicated to use proper menus without a icon less than 500x500 in diameter be a real man and use the terminal

Ill be ignoring that then.

I'm just interested as I've heard quite a lot of people use powerbooks for doing word processing etc and i wondered how much (if any) of a ballache it is file format wise etc.

I'm just interested as I've heard quite a lot of people use powerbooks for doing word processing etc and i wondered how much (if any) of a ballache it is file format wise etc.

ha yeah sorry just wanted a rant at that time I apologise andy :)

now will you have sex with me?

pinky xx ^_^

I thought apple said every new edition of OSX ran faster than the last? Surely you can update the old ones to the latest if thats the case.

Well I've not used anything before Tiger, but yeah, they supposedly have got faster each time. Obviously you can get little updates (like in Windows), but the major revisions (E.g. from Panther to Tiger) you have to pay for, in the same way you have to pay to go from Win 98 > 2000 > XP > Vista etc.

What f**king bubble.

Sorry Nick, I kinda started that as a bit of a Joke that backfired :$

Whats the compatability of office type programs on a mac, are they interchangable with ms office?

Of course. You can get MS Office for Mac anyway, it gets really good reviews. A lot of (Mac-loving) people will tell you that it's better on the Mac than on the PC. I dunno about that, I've never used it. So obviously that uses the same file types as the PC version. Then there's OpenOffice.org which works fine also and you can save to .docs etc.

Pages (Apple's own word processing thing) can read .docs but it can't (or won't :sleeping: ) save as .docs. I use Pages because it's easy and quick and simple, just what I need for taking notes and stuff. If I need office compatibility I use OOo :)

Yeah stuff gets faster, especially through OsX. Jag then Panther (which was pretty good) and now tiger. I've noticed a little differene between them, but it's mainly just stuff like Spotlight and Dashboard with Tiger.

Nothing special. I've got a free update disk which is copied actually from a Mac store. Works perfect, up to tiger if anyone wants it.

My icons are 40x40. The biggest they go upto without somehow modding OsX and finder are 128x128.

Yeah here's Word and stuff for Mac. It's alright actually. I don't really like word at all though. It changes all your f**king words and leaves you with hardly any formatting options.

I do a lot of my work on Illustrator or Openoffice which is pretty good, but then again for simple stuff, that doesn't matter about it's appearance much, word's pretty good, no better than the one on PC imo though.