A tap

Helicoils (often get 10)

Helicoil driver

Tang breaker

Not in the kit

A 5.2mm drill bit

tap driver

Small hoover/compressor

A drill (cordless or wired. Cordless is better so you dont have the cable obscuring the position of the drill., making sure it goes in straight (Y) )

To do the helicoil:

Remove the wheel, brake and anything else in the way, Next get the brake mount parrallel to the floor (it is easier to make sure the drill goes in straight, preety escential)

Drill the brake mount, Drill until you feel a bit of resitance, drilling over the existing thread will feel abit hard, but until you hit the bottom of the brake mount, you can go alittle more to allow the helicoil enough thread to sit on

Then get your tap and tap driver, and procede to tap the frame, Doing a 2 turn in, 1/2 turn out spin, making sure all the removed material dosent damage the freshly made threads.

Then, get the small hoover...and clean out the brake mount, emvoing all little metal flakes etc.

Put the helicoil on the helicoil driver, and thread it into the newly made thread, Might want to use a littl bit of lubricant on that part, its quite hard to thread them in.

Hey presto, one helicoiled frame (Y)

Anything else you want to know just drop me a Pm or add me to msn.....Ps i did all my helicoiling on a t-rex aswell (Y) alot stronger when there helicoiled :)

Good luck

Tom

Edited by Tom Booth

• 1 month later...

the helicoil kits we use at work come with the drill bit, tap, helicoils. the only other things needed i think are a drill and an adjustable spanner to turn the tap. haven't done one myself but there been a fair few manipoo forks that have needed it done as the post mount brake mount is very easily stripped, usually only takes 10 mins max

my local bike shop helicoild all my mounts for about £7 uv just got to find the right place hoilcoils dont make the treads much stronger though as the steel is still only screwed into aluminum and is only like 0.2 mm bigger so not that much more strength what a few people have done that iv heard of (not seen it though) fill the mont with weld the tap it out to m5 again i would have though that would be a fair bit weaker but i dont see why it wouldnt work as long as the weldings up to scratch. but then must people that can weld aluminium have a helicoil set is spose any way hope you get the bike going again soon i hated it when i striped my treads