Pedal/crank Problems

Jaffacakes

Basically I have got some new cranks and I have got the replaceable part from my onza cranks which stops your cranks being rounded off stuck on my pedal, and I can't get it off so will I need new pedals? Here is some pics anyway.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Jaffacakes

Cant quite see in the pictures, but the thread for the locknut on the end looks a bit buggered. Try cleaning the whole lot up, screwing it back in and putting the locknut on the back as tight as you can. Then try taking the pedal out again. Otherwise give it a REALLY good clean and some araldite on the threads and leave it for a day or so before trying again.

clamp the part you want to remove from the pedal seriously tight in some mole grips or stillsons or a vice, then heat that part up with a blowtorch for around a minute then try to remove it by inserting an allen key in the pedal axle and turning. metal expands with heat so it should loosen. used this technique many a time when pedals have seized in cranks etc.....

u m ay have to heat for longer, or more than once but it always works for me in the end. (Y)

If its tight enough that its come out of the crank, its tight enough that clamping it up in the vice will distort it and make it useless. Heat works but its a faff compared with putting it back together properly and trying again.

Are you going to reuse the pedal arms?If not just slap the thread insert into a vice and swing on the pedal with a large spanner (Y) But most likley the threads will be bugged!! On the thread insert :P

Craig

Edited by Echo_Scotty

Word to the Hud-man :P On both my Muscleman and Tensile crank arms, the inserts have come out with the pedals, so I just araldited (it's basic epoxy resin; can get it from places like Motorworld for bugger all. Comes in 2 tubes, you mix 'em up then slap 'em on) the insert back into the crank arm. Make sure you don't get any on the pedal's spindle though as well as the insert, or it's curtains :P

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Jan 20 2006, 08:32 PM)

Use the blowtorch method! (Y) The metal will expand, wont it? :)

Cheers,

Joe.

Yeers but there normaly on god dam tight anyway so your still left with the problem of getting it off.

As people have suggested above use the arildite methord. I can't spell i know :( .

Sam

To be honest, I know araldite works well. You don't have to buy a new pedal insert, you don't have to worry about anything. But the main thing is that it does work - I don't know if superglue will, as epoxy resins seems to just be a bit stronger, basically...

They're both about the smae price though :)