Ratio's For Mod's

Trials Boy

Hi,

I'm going for a Mod now and I'm getting these cranks: http://selectbikes.com/shop/description.php?prodid=133 with this bashguard: http://selectbikes.com/shop/description.php?prodid=62

Its 18T at the front and i'm not sure weather i will be having freewheel at front or a Profile hub on the back, i don't know much about 20" trials bike's so i want your help please. If the front is 18T what would the back cog need to be? So its got the same gearing as usual mods and complete new XTP's.

Can anybody help please?

Thanks

Get a profile if you can - just cos they're lush! Plus I think they have a life-time guarantee (correct me if Im wrong) which you wouldn't get with a ordinary rear-hub/white industries freewheel combo.

Ideally get a 12T on the back, but I dare you to go for 9...... :-

Im not too sure if you get a life time guaranty?

Duno though.

Get a profile if you can - just cos they're lush! Plus I think they have a life-time guarantee (correct me if Im wrong) which you wouldn't get with a ordinary rear-hub/white industries freewheel combo.

Ideally get a 12T on the back, but I dare you to go for 9...... :-

Why do you dare me to go for 9 mate?

Slightly harder pedalling, meaning harder to gap, but can go faster when traveling.

Its also harder to do most trials moves with this gearing, as it will be harder to pedal

(try do a backhop on a stock in 21st gear B) ) haha

Oh right, thought it might be really really easy to pedal. (I cant even hop well in gear 1 :lol: )

So what gear is 18:12? Gear 3/4?

Don't you see what i mean? Like my mates Koxx XTP Mod is in about gear 3 but not sure of the ratio. What gearing would 18:12 be?

When did i say mods have gears? :S

I assume your trying to compare with MTB gears?

If so forget about it, different bikes have different gear setup anyway.

18 front 12 rear is what the majority of trials riders use. Only faffy gimp people have other ratios.

Oh right...i understand your snazy lingo now boyo.....Work it out ...

22 Divided18 = 1.22222r (standard stock gearing)

18:12 = 1.5, With shorter cranks this will feel quite similar to stock gearing :)

Sorry if it didn't come out right, :P Also, i don't understand all this dividing lark :S

I'm using 160mm cranks. If that helps? :ermm:

Edited by Trials Boy

18 front with 12 rear with those cranks will be perfect.

people dont really bother adjusting their gear ratio according to crank length, its just kept at 1.5:1 (18:12).

thinking about it, i might start running a 24 on the front with a 9 on the back....

Thanks mate, if i can get a Profile rear hub, i'll get one. If not, i'll proberly go for Try-All. (Y)