Bike Bag For Aus And Travilng

Zoo_Monkey

the time has finally arrived, I'm going to aus for a year (waves flag) but i need a bag for my trials bike so.....

inevitable boring question <_<

which one. iv looked around and they all look the same bar colour and some are hard others not so hard however the price varies from 50 - 200 squids! whats the difference!

so anybody with some experience of bike bags throw in a few pointers?

plus before anybody says it i probably will get what i pay for and if i pay 50 squid i will get the rather swarve on-one bag in pink from CRC, on the other had why is the Dakine one on wades worth 100 more of my precious notes?

thanks for reading - Sol

Planet X did one, Im not sure if its still made though. Have a quick look on their site.

I hope you have fun out there mate (Y) When I went last year for 6 weeks the potential for riding was insane, I didn't take my bike though... Have fun and enjoy the amazing weather even in the winter.

Dont recall the make but I took a padded soft sided bag from Aus to the US, around Canada, back to the US and back to Aus with no problem. I had a full XC bike, another frame and various other components in there. The guy I borrowed it from put a solid wooden base on it and 4 castor wheels which made it easy to lug around airports but still able to stuff into the boot of a car or collapse for storage.

Get a bike box from a bike shop, cut the sides out and use that for extra protection.

U'll have a crackin time in Aus. Only started trials when in this country otherwise i'd hook you up. (XC, DH, Freeride and Road I can help you with though)

Oh, clean your bike, in particular the tyres.

there isnt a whole lot of point in paying shed loads for a bag. when we went to barcalona the other week akkers/wayne had minta bags where i had some propper shadey bag...litterally a bag with no padding. i didnt pack it at all well on the way there and it was a right bastardo... but on the way home i packed it tighter and made sure the wheels were tied to the frame well and bits of card board either side just to protect it that little bit more obviously.

but if you get a cheap bag and make sure its strapped up tight and it doesnt move around in the bag it will be sound... you can always use free bits of cardboard for extra padding/protection.

my 50cent.

IPB Image

dunno if you can get them. paid ~7 quid for it new. basically a bag the size of a small house. fits the bike and loads of clothes etc in it. Pad the bike up with foam, cardboard, clothes, whatever. works wicked, use it on the trains here (not allowed bikes on) and on the plane when going abroad.

they're really uncomfy to carry, but hey, they're cheap.

When I went to portugal I rented a planet x one from a local shop. If your going to be traveling alot with your bike then I think a good bag will be worth it. But if its only going to be this time on a plane then you can try and rent one or get a cheap one and pack it well as james said.

The planet x one I used was really good. Dont know where to get one from, but at least it wont crack :rolleyes:

I know its a bit biased because im sponsored by them, but dakines latest bike bag ( below) is the dogs danglys!!, it really is, you can fit everything in them and more, i was in sweden last week and i had my bike, my riding gear, tools and 3 bags of clothes in there and i still had loads of space in it!!!.

Its huuuuge.

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/gallery/1140..._1188_64109.jpg

^^^ nice picture of it

You can get them from there uk importers http://www.surf-sales.com

Scott