Scam

montyrider

Im currently selling my bike and had it advertised in the MBUK ads, I got this message from some bloke saying he was interested but he had to pay me buy cheque as his contact in the uk owed him some money, so i agreed. but then he told me that he had to send me a cheque for 3000 and that i would wait for it to clear then take out 400 and send him back 2600 via western union money transfer! this guy was so wierd he never gave me any details he changed his name twice! after a while i said i didn't want anything to do with him! Now the same guy pretending to be some one else saying he'sgotta pay me buy cheque as he's on a business trip in glasgow :blink: got in cotact saying he saw my ad even thoughi took it off like a week ago! i thought id let people know about this and was wondering if its happend to anyone else out their?

Edited by montyrider

I think its something to do with it being a european cheque or something like that isn't it? I'm sure i heard that the cheque would go to your account and would appear to clear after a couple of days like a normal cheque, but then after you've been able to take money out and spend it the check will bounce something like 2 weeks after you first put it in. I can't really see how they would clear it then it would bounce, mayeb just because it looks like its going to be alright and then because of slow communications between the banks of the two different countries it takes a while for them to realise they made a balls up.