Bleeding Maggys With Water

Bleed them with water !, i've always had my magura's bleed with water becuase it's alot snappier and just generally a nicer feel.

Water also gives the break a more stiffer feel at the lever.

Oil is thicker than water so it don't have the same feel or response like water, just go bleed your maggie with water you will soon notice the differance from oil to water.

Wigs (Y)

Yea, Thats because you cant compress water as easily as oil. Thats why it's much more "on and off". Whereas maggy blook compresses and it leaves the brake wid some modulation.

From Lee

Theres oxygen in water

Water = H2O

Oxygen = O2 (not O)

and as also said its bound to the 2 hydrogen particles and meh i dont know the rest...

Basically if you want to run hydraulic oil then no one will stop you (Not solely aimed at you derenkirby). Its just alot of people prefer water. In honesty Ive never read about anyone saying "magura is bust due to water" :S

I'm guessing they're problem is they only bled the hoses with water... you need to do the whole brake :blink::lol::-

Whats not good about it then?

But if you were a good mechanic you would know that discs heat up, so if you put water into it there could always be the possiblity of the water getting too warm in the hose and expanding or even boiling.

Magura's aren't designed for other pads are they? But i'm going to be guessing that theres hardly anybody riding that is still using blacks or kool stop pads. My brake has been bled with water since last year and it runs so much nicer than when it had water in it. I have never had any issues with it apart from when i first did it and there was still some oily gunk left in there, this made it feel horrible which is what the majority of people do the first time they bleed the maggies with water all i did was rebleed it and all the oil was gone. Since then i've just periodically rebled it every couple of months and its been absolutely fine.

Don't be a pussy, put water in your brakes and a grind on your rim!!

Holy crap, someone else has got the point too :o Joy!

Right. I said last night I wouldn't bother explaining it, but it seems I need to (again...).

Maguras are sold to more people than just UK riders, aren't they. They're on the worldwide market. Therefore, there are going to be people aaaaaaall around the big ol' world buying them. Some of them will live in places where it won't drop below like 10C or whatever every year, and some of them will be at places where it probably won't even reach 10C. By selling them with a mineral oil in, it means that it's not going to freeze up. It makes sense to put a fairly generic oil like mineral oil in too. If you think about the wealth of other oils you can use with it, it starts to make sense. Equally, it's more environmentally friendly than Dot fluid, so kudos to Maguras ;) Also, for other sports something like oil would be better, where you don't want on-off braking.

On to the whole "rust" thing. It doesn't happen. Yes, the more observant amongst you have spotted that water is H^2O, meaning it has oxygen in. Point being? It's not like the hydrogen f**ks off, is it? You need air as well as water to rust it, and assuming you can actually bleed a brake, you'll be fine. To be fair, even if you did a shit bleed you're only going to have a relatively small amount of air, which would probably actually be caught in part of the plastic tubing (either on the cross-over or on the loop just by the lever, both of which tend to be high points of the system, relative to those around them (with the crossover, it's higher than the pistons, so the air from the slave side's gonna rag up to the crossover, and with the other piston it can either go crossover or up the main pipe). AAAAAAAAAnyway, at the end of that it means that basically, you'd be shit out of luck if somehow you managed to get air and water into a part which had a steel part in it long enough to actually rust it.

The main problem people seem to have with water is that they don't properly flush the system out properly first, which means that the skanky oil left in there emulsifies or some weird crap and gunks up the system. This is easily flushed out with another bleed - just keep flushing it 'til you get clear water flowing through the outlet pipe.

To whoever it was who said about the fluid being reasonable or whatever - Magura blood isn't some magical, incredible fluid. It's the same as basic mineral oil, e.g. LHM Clutch oil, which people find works almost exactly the same. Let's compare prices for a sec. Magura Royal Blood is £21.99 per litre. The LHM clutch fluid is almost always under £10 per litre. Slight difference, for what is essentially the same product? If you think about other Magura spares, notice how they seem to be disproportionately expensive? Yep, that's 'cos Magura rape you for anything to do with their brakes, after they've lured you in with a relatively low price for a full system. Notice how they also say it must be installed by a trained cycle mechanic? Stuff like that. IT basically works out better for them. If you also think "It's OEM so it must be good", look at the pads and mounting systems and boosters Magura make for their own brake. Notice how they're all shit, and not many people use them? ('cept for the 4-bolt clamps and the 2-bolt clamps, obviously) Not many. I wouldn't want a pair of standard Maggie blacks on, in the same way I wouldn't want to use a Magura piece-of-shit booster. Using other fluids is exactly the same as using aftermarket products.

I kinda got distracted by cake half-way through, but I can't be bothered typing any more anyway. I hope you've got the point ;)

• 3 weeks later...

i`ve just added water to my system and it works great, just great, i`ve flusshed out all the oil and put a litle soap in the water just for a litle lubeing and it has better feel, better respnse, better strenght and it`s freakin easy to bleed-it with water, aldough i`l be using lhm liquid for the winter.....

Personally, I use the proper stuff (Magura Blood) but I have heard that 'Johnson's Baby Oil' works well, don't know though?

Don't use water as it is bad for the calipers and pistons and stuff like that, also you have to mix it with de-icer in the winter which is just more hastle.

Sam :)

Sorry to break the news, Baby oil is water based.