Spraying Polished Aluminium

froggy

hmmm, ok.

does anyone know any good places online to order spray from? The only place I know to buy spray paint is halfords and they only have a small range.

Halford, B&Q or your local DIY shop is your best bet, or a car garage if you ask them nicely. (Y)

Maybe your halfords is bad- but the one i work at has a whole isle! Most shades your find on road cars are there in rattle cans, along with general purpose paints in a diff section.

If you don't like the colours there, and there IS a good selection, they can mix some up if you have a colour code.

Definately make sure the surface is roughed up nicely with medium wet and dry, then a couple of coats of primer, then couple of colour, then a few of laquer. leave 10-15 mins inbetween thin coats and at least an hour or so between primer, colour and colour and laquer. Leave the frame somewhere warm for 24 hours before building it up.

If you want a really smooth finish, use more coats of paint, thinner coats, and in between each stage sand down with wet very fine wet and dry paper, before cleaning drying and continuing.

Maybe your halfords is bad- but the one i work at has a whole isle! Most shades your find on road cars are there in rattle cans, along with general purpose paints in a diff section.

If you don't like the colours there, and there IS a good selection, they can mix some up if you have a colour code.

Definately make sure the surface is roughed up nicely with medium wet and dry, then a couple of coats of primer, then couple of colour, then a few of laquer. leave 10-15 mins inbetween thin coats and at least an hour or so between primer, colour and colour and laquer. Leave the frame somewhere warm for 24 hours before building it up.

If you want a really smooth finish, use more coats of paint, thinner coats, and in between each stage sand down with wet very fine wet and dry paper, before cleaning drying and continuing.

if you REALLY want a smooth finish, dont bother with the laquer......

laquar is for gays im afraid, theres no real need for it!

if you can, try baking it, when i sprayed my bt, i suspended it in an upturned bike box over an oil radiator overnight, the temp in the morning was 48 degrees inside the box!!!!

once its baked on hard, flat it all down again with 1200 or 1500 wet n dry, used very wet with a touch of fairy liquid in the warm water.

then itll look dull as fook, and you need to spend hours with a finishing compound to bring it back to a perfect mirror shine......

takes ages, but its well worth it

Don't f#ck about trying to spray it your self (N) get it powder coated :D look in the yellow pages or go on line theres loads of people that do it, i used a company they powder coat washing machines, they they did a great job, left it with them for 1 day and cost £25 (Y)

Edited by DAB

Don't f#ck about trying to spray it your self (N) get it powder coated :D look in the yellow pages or go on line theres loads of people that do it, i used a company they powder coat washing machines, they they did a great job, left it with them for 1 day and cost £25 (Y)

Theres a place near my house that does powder coating. Is it possible to get a frame powder coated with a glossy finish?