Computer Problem Now Sorted

djb

I'm having issues with certain games not appearing as they should, it's like pieces of the image are missing so the computer just fills in the gap with a random coloured block. Crappy description I know but the picture shows what I mean, that big blue triangle above the car at the bottom should obviously be the road.

IPB Image

It's not just GTA it does this with but the other higher end games that I have, Flight Sim '04, Civ 4 and Max Payne 2 are also affected pretty bad. I know it doesn't look that bad but the blocks sort of flash on and off reappearing in different areas and it different colours and really mess with my head.

I have no idea what could be causing this but have updated my graphics driver and installed the latest directx and any game patches that have been released but with no change. If anyone could give me a cure i'd really appreciate it.

Oh, and my computer spec:

AMD Sempron 3000+ 2GHz

512MB RAM

GeForce FX5700VE 256MB

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by djb

I

I have no idea what could be causing this but have updated my graphics driver and installed the latest directx and any game patches that have been released but with no change. If anyone could give me a cure i'd really appreciate it.

Download the latest nvidia drivers here http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html and then try it.

You can also try getting the latest patches for the games.

:P

Try and scan the card for Artifacts. I know that you can use ATI Tool to scan nVidia cards. Try that. (Y)

Right, i've downloaded that ATI Tool and set it to scan but it's finding nothing. What are these Artifacts it looks for and why would they be causing the problem?

Also, Neil, I know my graphics card is now old but I wouldn't say it's 'pap' and it certainly shouldn't be chalanged by games as old as GTA III surely? On another note how would I tell if my PC is overheating, or do I just change the fan/add another one and see what happens?

Cheers for the help so far

EDIT: Now I understand what that ATI Tool is doing I can say it definately is finding artifacts (though it says no errors found which was confusing me). So is this a curable problem or is it new card time?

Edited by djb

hey, artifacts will appear after running a demanding 3d app purely because your gfx card is getting too hot and yeh it could also be a driver problem [although i think thats less likely], it happens alot. you could underclock your card to a lower frequency using ATI tool. that'd keep the temps down however you'd get a slightly worse FPS?

is your call.

Because i have an nvidia card the ATI Tool doesn't let me do anything other than scan. Is there anything else I can use to underclock my card temporarily to see if it solves the problem without killing frame rate?

Where can i find out how hot the card is running?

you can use rivatuner to underclock your graphics card, it will also let you monitor the temperature if the card has a sensor.

If underclocking it solves the issue then return it under the warranty as it is on its way out (don't mention the underclocking though as it voids your warranty)

download Coolbits, I personally prefer it to Rivatuner.

once its installed just go to properities [right click] on desktop, settings tab, advanced button, select the tab of the name of your card [ie FX5900] then click on clock frequencies to adjust them. Is piece of wee when you know how. :)

Problem sorted - I spoke to the computer shop where I bought the card and he suggested downgrading the driver, I installed one from almost 2 years ago and everythings peachy now. Bit strange to think the updates mess things up but that's just typical of IT stuff I guess.

Cheers for all your suggestions guys