Wheel Building For Begineers :)

lego

I tried to use tips from this very good website....Sheldonbrown but gave up and just copied from an already built wheel.

In the end I sorted the long and short spokes into two piles and got to it.

And to finally get it true, I used this contraption.

IPB Image

A very easy to use and make truing thingy. Using some old maggie brackets for the side whatsit, and wickes spirit level to get a rough centre.

And the final result was a very nice wheel ...well good enough to ride on and very straight.

Just one of those wheel ones with different sizes on.

Just remember if the buckle touchs the left truing thing, you need to tight the ones on the oposite side.

If you want a piccy I can post one later.

Edited by lego

Ditto. I get bored of my hubs/rims in about a week, lol. Its a handy skill to have really, and saves a lot of money/hassle.

Its a little hard to learn (I'd imagine) by reading about it. Its definatly a hands on skill, learn from mistakes and good guidence.

Its a little hard to learn (I'd imagine) by reading about it. Its definatly a hands on skill, learn from mistakes and good guidence.

It really not that hard to learn, just go for it, i did and its not all that bad :- But seriously if you havent done it before then just copy off another wheel. Thats what i did first time and after my 3/4th time i can nearly do it all by memory. It seriously isnt that hard to do i dont know why so many people are affraid to try!

Rob

I've had one go at wheels but the only problem I've found is getting the right length spokes. I had a spare wheel and took that apart and tried to rebuild that but calculating spoke lengths would make me go :S . I don't have a clue how to use the calculators either.

Well there's no need to worry about the spoke legnth if your building up a wheel that youve just taken appart, although for spoke calculators i've found the TF one to be the best and easiest (it can be found in Danny's sig) Although if your still not sure drop tarty an email im sure they'll help you on hub sizes ect.

Rob

EDIT: Linky For spoke calculator

Edited by Robwalker

Well there's no need to worry about the spoke legnth if your building up a wheel that youve just taken appart, although for spoke calculators i've found the TF one to be the best and easiest (it can be found in Danny's sig) Although if your still not sure drop tarty an email im sure they'll help you on hub sizes ect.

Rob

EDIT: Linky For spoke calculator

What I mean is if I had to buy spokes then calculating the lengths would make me go crazy also how do you measure the ERD is it the insides of the rim or outsides? Is the flange width/diameter measured from the holes or the actual edges? If you can tell me the answers then I'll have a go at building my new disc wheel when the parts come.

At first I cocked up 3 or 4 wheels but they were turd anyway, after that i took my time and double checked everything i did, easy, now on a good day i can build and true a wheel in 20 mins (around that), but i still make mistakes occasionally but it's easy once you get the jist of it. (Y)

The sheldon brown guide is awesome. It's what i used to learn to build wheels, and after the first one (which wasnt bad, but wasnt that great either) all my builds have been pretty damn good. My 2nd build was my current americal classic 140 disc on XM719 and has lasted me about 20 months so far, and has only just buckled, i landed a 360 off a 3ft wall front wheel first and still spinning which would have bent any wheel to be honest!!

My best advice would be to take your time and make sure you bed the spokes in by standing on the spoke cross overs one at a time on both sides, then re-true/tension the wheel and repeat until the wheel doesn't change between standing on sessions.