}
?>

now correct me if I'm wrong but whenever I go to

http://mtbstatic.com/sc/ebay/test4.php?op=b

the output should be bye

and

http://mtbstatic.com/sc/ebay/test4.php?op=h

the output should be hello

but the output is always "no op switch detected", this has never happened on any other host or am I just overlooking something really obvious in the code.

http://mtbstatic.com/sc/ebay/test4.php' target="_blank">

Yeah, plus I never used to get data from forms, as long they had the same name tag as the variable. Now I need to use

$var = $_POST[$var]

what an arse! I guess it supposed to increase security but it means I need to modify all my pissing code.

A more up to date way of doing it is to use

$mode = $HTTP_GET_VARS['mode'];
[/code]

You could just replace the variable with $HTTP_GET_VARS['mode'] directly, without assigning it to a variable at the top. Thats a bit messy though.

Always been done that way as far as I remember :turned:

For future reference, to use $op when calling from a url with ?foo=bar is called a global variable.

You should never ever be able to do this. Most decent hosts have globals turned off, as its a super high security risk. I wont explain how, but trust me, if a host has globals turned on, i would consider changing just because of that fact.

And as far as i know, $_GET is still the fore runner over $HTTP_GET_VARS. I use $_GET, as does everyone else i know, and all the code i see uses $_GET. Mainly because coders, by nature, are highly lazy, and $_GET is a lot quicker to type then $HTTP_GET_VARS. :P

PHP 6 will be phasing out globals, and be disabling them by default, so i would try to avoid using them at all costs.

A more up to date way of doing it is to use

$mode = $HTTP_GET_VARS['mode'];

You could just replace the variable with $HTTP_GET_VARS['mode'] directly, without assigning it to a variable at the top. Thats a bit messy though.

Always been done that way as far as I remember :turned:

For future reference, to use $op when calling from a url with ?foo=bar is called a global variable.

You should never ever be able to do this. Most decent hosts have globals turned off, as its a super high security risk. I wont explain how, but trust me, if a host has globals turned on, i would consider changing just because of that fact.

And as far as i know, $_GET is still the fore runner over $HTTP_GET_VARS. I use $_GET, as does everyone else i know, and all the code i see uses $_GET. Mainly because coders, by nature, are highly lazy, and $_GET is a lot quicker to type then $HTTP_GET_VARS. :P

PHP 6 will be phasing out globals, and be disabling them by default, so i would try to avoid using them at all costs.

Actually, $_GET, $_POST, $_COOKIE, $_SERVER, $_ENV and $_SESSION variables deprecate the old $HTTP_*_VARS arrays and can be used regardless of the scope. There is no need to import them using the global statement within functions.

EDIT: So that's why globals should be turned off.

Edited by sfboy