3d Cad Software

PaRtZ

Which CAD software packages do you (that use it) use? I use Pro desktop and I've found it relatively easy to use, but I was just search google and found a picture of a modelled bunny rabbit and was like :o .

And if you want you can show off your work here. Whoever made the pitbull in solidworks, I would like to see that again because thats amazing :)(Y)

I use Alias Studiotools 12. Nerbs modelling program opposed to Polygon modelling which most engineering based CAD programs use.

I like it, this is my Wiesmann GT which I created on it :)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

PS, Pro Desktop sucks, I hate it with a passion :P

Edited by Todge

It's horses for courses.

I want a package that's easy to use, and powerful enough a tool to realise the designs I've sketched on the back of an envelope. For me it's more important that it's easy to interrogate the design in 3D to make sure that everything is where it should be etc, rather than it render beautiful images. Nice images by the way ^^

I found Solidworks easy to learn and it continues to fit with what I want.

Steve

yeah - to be fair, Max is cack at CAD stuff.

It has a lovely modeller, the animation tools are good enough, lots of choice in renderers but it's not something you'd want to use for product design - unless you're some sort of masochist

Likewise really, I used Solidworks at a placement company and it is certainly the easiest package to get to grips with. But while this is great news for beginners, it seems a lot of people who think they are in the know about such things take this to mean that it doesn't have the capabilities of its competitors. Quite the contrary, I've used the main competitor (Solidedge by EDS/UGS) and there are certain features it lacks that Solidworks uses (such as turning off auto-unite when you create new features).

I use Unigraphics for two main reasons:

1. it's got a lot more features than most CAD packages, such as stress and motion analysis and tools to help manage a design better (a very useful feature when creating large assemblies).

2. my uni uses it so I have had a fair bit of exposure to the way it works, which isn't user friendly in the slightest (though it has been getting better).

Much of my work for CAD is a lot less pretty than whats been put up here, but here are some screenshots nevertheless...

[attachmentid=4316]

[attachmentid=4317]

[attachmentid=4318]

Cheeky steve, that last image isnt CAD :P although im sure you made/were given the model in UG first though.

I use UG NX3 for the same reasons as Steve. I've found that learning it has been a bit more difficult than say solidedge, but its many times more powerful.

Here a few of screenshots of my work this year.

Group Project, Saddle tree model made by reverse engineering CMM data

[attachmentid=4322]

Then carried out FEA on it

[attachmentid=4323]

CAE coursework 1, a vice assembly with variable dimensions, rendered

[attachmentid=4324]

CAE coursework 2, a bottle design using freeform surfaces

[attachmentid=4325]

post-35-1146748185_thumb.jpg

post-35-1146748228_thumb.jpg

post-35-1146748252_thumb.jpg

post-35-1146748291_thumb.jpg