Are There Any Good Ways Of Tensioning A Mod?

MaXsteri

My Monty came with snail cams and to be quite frank they were shit. No matter how tight i did them up the wheel would have moved after a couple of rides and my brake would be rubbing

So try chain tugs i thought. I ordered the 10mm Gusset ones but they don't seam to fit for two reasons :S

The first is that the circular bit is so stupendously huge that they reach the end of the thread before the wheel is in the right place, and the second is that the U shaped end piece is too narrow to go around the circular piece and the drop-out.

What options do i have? Can you buy chain tugs with smaller circular bits and bigger U bits?

[attachmentid=4705]

post-6998-1148040679_thumb.jpg

Surely that would still give me the same problem?

The circular bit would still be too big and collide with the U piece?. Maybe i should get take grinder to the circular bit?

Not sure how to tackle the U piece issue though

Unfortunately, many BMX companies still don't realise that people aren't all using dropouts the size of dinner plates, and as such they still make massive plates for their chaintugs. You can, however, buy ones with smaller bodies. Just go and check out any BMX site and you'll see the type I mean... can't remember the names of them off hand. Anyway, I found that with my mod I had to file the U-plate a little so it'd fit, but that was about it.

You can totally file off the part of the U-plate that's hitting your dropout end there so you have a nice flat plate hitting it too, by the way.

Try and get a decent sized allen key tool to do your wheel up with too so you can properly beast that bolt up ;)

is that a monty 221 pr if it is then i had exactly the same problem just buy some snail cams and run them on the outside

I seriously dont see a problem with the snail cams........ im using exactley the same frame....

Yes it is a 221pr. The Monty cams rounded off in seconds!

Unfortunately, many BMX companies still don't realise that people aren't all using dropouts the size of dinner plates, and as such they still make massive plates for their chaintugs. You can, however, buy ones with smaller bodies. Just go and check out any BMX site and you'll see the type I mean... can't remember the names of them off hand. Anyway, I found that with my mod I had to file the U-plate a little so it'd fit, but that was about it.

You can totally file off the part of the U-plate that's hitting your dropout end there so you have a nice flat plate hitting it too, by the way.

Try and get a decent sized allen key tool to do your wheel up with too so you can properly beast that bolt up ;)

I filled the plate down to the point where it was just small enough to do the job and no smaller. Sadly this was the same point at which the plate/bolt join was weakened to the point where it bent but just doing up the nut <_<

Ive given up with chain tugs and ordered some fresh products snail cams, hopefully they are good. I have no doubt that you can buy chain tugs that are a better size, but i went in EVERY bike shop round here and they all stocked the same one. If someone can give me the name/link to some chain tugs online that are sensible then that would be great, if not im not prepared to order every chain tug in the known universe and play trial and error.

Cheers for the help any way guys (Y)

On a side note. The bolts that go in the axle are pretty mullered from SO much tightening and undoing over the last few weeks. Anyone know where to get replacements?

What were those snail cams made of? I got the frame and mine didn't come with snail cams, but I used the Steel one's off my x-hydra and they have worked a treat, admittantly they are fairly battered and such, but they work, maybe those you had were aluminium? Try making some yourself out of some steel plate?