Learning To Motorbike?

sfboy

Right, with summer comming up and having no money to run a car I figure the best option is a motorcycle.

How do I go about this? I'm 19 with a full car licence but I've no idea!

Ideally I want to ride a 125cc (MX style road bike) on an 'L' plate, do I just need a CBT? and will insurance be less than £1k. Also for the CBT do I use my own bike, can I ride there? What's the deal? How long does the CBT last (2yrs?)

Anyway, alot of questions to which I hope some of you know the answer many thanks.

Yo, If youve got a full car licence, all you need is a CBT to be able to ride any 125, Your insurance would be about £400 for a new cbr125, and similar for a DT125 which seems to be what your after.

As for the CBT im sure you could arrange to take your own bike, But they always supply them as part of the fee, So you might aswell take advantage of that. CBT's are really easy, You'd have to be blind in one eye and have no feet to fail(they only take about 5 hours). I think a CBT lasts for a few years, But you dont need to worry about that, As you'll get the bug and will booking up for your full bike test in no time :P

I'm sure you will need a CBT.

They last for 2 years, so easily long enuogh to learn to ride and pass your test.

Some CBT schemes supply bikes for CBTs at no extra cost, so might aswell ride their bike,s but if hiring will cost then riding your own bike obviously has advantages.

As for bikes, the Honda XR125 is wqorth looking at. Its a 4stroke 125 off road/dual purpose bike. They run and run and run. Also they are in a very low insurance group, I got mine insured for £270 3rd party with motorcycledirect.com.

If you were interested in one I am selling mine as I've passed my test and moved on to bigger things. PM me or something ^_^

How much you planning on spending on a bike excluding £500 ish insurance?

I'm 17 with a Suzuki Bandit 600, £570 insurance, restricted to 33bhp :shifty: and it's pretty cheap to run, and more sturdy to ride than a 125 I found.

Rob's got a CBR600 also. You'll need a CBT for any type of motorcycle, which lasts for 2 years. I had to do one, scooter boys have to do one. Everyone does. It's "Compulsary Basic Training" - for everyone.

DT125's, RS125's, CBR 125's stuff like that I think are pretty decent for 125's but depends on how many bucks you want to spend, and whether you're bothered about it's look and performance much.

Gimme a shout if you've got any questions.

Nick

Nick, If he hasn't got his CBT yet its gonna be a while before he passes his test, so no 600s till then.

I would say that getting on a 125 first and riding it around on L plates for a while makes it so much easier to pass your test and gives you valuable experiance before you jump on a faster bike. At first a 125 is certainly fast enuogh. Becasue I was gaining experiance riding my XR around on L plates I only needed a couple of bike lessons to pass my test. There were others at the lessons who haddent been riding outside of lessons as they didn't own 125s and they took much longer to learn and looked less comfortable on their bikes.

Nick, £500 with is "restricted" to 33 bhp? I could insure a non restricted one for that much and I'm on 18. I have no idea what age you are so this Fred could look very silly here... :)

I don't really get what you're saying, but until you're 19 you can't insure a de-restricted bike with more than 33bhp. It's gotta be taken down to 33, for 2 years or until you're 21. Whichever comes first I think.

My bike's a 600 and gives ~90-95bhp out, but it's taken down to 33 with these washers and carb re-tune. Insurance doesn't give a shit if it's restricted or not, they insure you as-if it's not. Mine was £570, I'm 17 and have no years no claims.

Just a suggestion. You can easy pass your test in a week anyway. Just do a crash course. CBT Monday. 4 hours Tues - Thurs test on Friday. You'll pass I reckon :P

I didn't want L plates on so...

I don't think it's a bad idea to get something like Steve-A had and get some experience.

My bike's a 600 and gives ~90-95bhp out, but it's taken down to 33 with these washers and carb re-tune. Insurance doesn't give a shit if it's restricted or not, they insure you as-if it's not. Mine was £570, I'm 17 and have no years no claims.

Is it not possible to post without mentioning your bike? :P

I think you'll find insurance DOES give a s**t if it's restricted or not, if you haven't got it restricted then it's not going to pass the MOT, which means you can't get tax or insurance.

They insure you on the basis that it's restricted to 33bhp, it also says on your licence that you can only ride a 25kw bike until a certain date, it's 2 years from when you pass your test, although i'm not sure if say you do your test when your say 19?

So if it's not restricted then basically you've got no insurance, you may as well wait the 2 years anyway, mine finishes in January then I can legally de-restrict it which isn't very long. If you go out and buy the fastest bike you can afford, de-restrict it as soon as you can with no years experience on the road then your gonna die really. Also if your only 17 riding a 600 on full power then what have you to look forward too?

The guy I bought mine from said when you get it de-restricted it's going to be a whole new bike anyway, saves buying a new one.

Just don't be an idiot, get some experience on the roads on a 125 first at least. (Y)

Cheers for all the advice guys, after reading all the coments I think the first thing I need to do is CBT. Once done I'll probably get a cheap DT replica and see how that goes. I'll keep you updated