Computer Help

Robwalker

Hi, Im about to get a new computer next week and i was hoping to get it on the net. Only problem is all the computers run off a wireless router in my house at the moment, and im using a laptop.

My current set up (to make things easier)

[attachmentid=5009]

Now i have vast ammounts of this cable lying around, and i was wondering if i could connect my laptop to the new compouter using that, inturn allowing internet to be fed onto the new computer through the laptops wireless connection?

Something along the lines of this-

[attachmentid=5010]

The obvious answer it to run cable uptstairs, but its at the total opposite side of the house, so would it be possible to do it this way or am i going to have to fork out on a wireless network card?

Many thanks in advance for advice and help

Rob

post-8224-1149023383_thumb.jpg

post-8224-1149023506_thumb.jpg

You can set up the windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the laptop and your new desktop so the laptop connects to the internet and the desktop connects to the internet via the laptop, but this is a bit sketchy as it doesn't always work. Its also pretty much uselss as the laptop needs to be on for the desktop to access the internet so you may as well just use the laptop.

I think you are going to have to fork out on a new wireless card. Or put the router in the same room as your desktop computer and run the cable from that.

I have mine so that theres a cable running under the carpet from my mum and dads telephone socket to my room, then the router is wired to my pc and the laptop is wireless... it gets a decent signal in the opposite corner of the house and is still usable for accessing the internet out in the garden about 30 metres away.

You can set up the windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the laptop and your new desktop so the laptop connects to the internet and the desktop connects to the internet via the laptop

Thanks, no harm in trying and im a bit skint at the mo so i'll give this a try cheer,

you may as well just use the laptop.

My laptops getting really slow lately and the hard drive is a bit small for my liking, fine for taking away ect but just not so practical for use as a home computer, thats the main reason for a new Desktop.

I think you are going to have to fork out on a new wireless card. Or put the router in the same room as your desktop computer and run the cable from that.

Seems like a simple idea but you have to take into account i'd have to get a load more cable for a start, do a hell alot of drilling as i'd have to run it under the stairs, then i dont have carpet on my hallway landing so it would look silly. I think im just going to give the ICS thing a go and if that dont work fork out on a wireless card/dongle, and ilukeee where'd you see that all i could find were these and im looking at £15 min :S

Thank you all for your help,

Rob

is £15 really that much of a big deal? it would be worth it really, if oyur getting a new pc I would expect you could afford another £15 to allow it to use the net! (sorry for being so assuming!)

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/63002 usb is always an option, but only a few squid cheaper. though i use usb wireless at home and it works fine.

Looking at the current setup, you have a router already connected into your broadband, so why would you need ICS? Just set the default gateway appropriately on both machines, and it's Internet-a-go-go. Looking at your current setup, yes, you would need a wireless card, but they're so cheap and easy, why would you not?

One thing to keep in mind is that as broadband speed increases, you may start to find the limits of wi-fi if you're using an early version. Also if you're trying to copy large amounts of files from one machine to the other, it will take an age using wi-fi!

What I would suggest is move the broadband modem and router next to one PC, then run cable to the other desktop machine. This will give the best speed, most reliability and most security. Then you can use wi-fi for the laptop, or connect it into a hub next to your new desktop or router if you need to transfer files quickly.

Options:

1) Purchase a wireless card for the PC.

2) Cable it.

3) Buy an ethernet over power line kit (something like this: http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2506)

4) Bridge the wireless and LAN connections on your notebook using the function built into XP, making in to a makeshift switch.

5) Don't bridge the connections and instead use ICS, which means you won't have access to file sharing or printers and you'll be isolated from the rest of the network.

6) Buy another Wireless Access Point with integrated switch (or just a single port) and use it to repeat the signal from your other router, while also enabling to just plug the computer in to the integrated switch.

7) Harness the power of SLI Pigeons.

Why not put the router/modem nearer the new PC (or the old one I guess). That way you have all the benefits of wired network (speed mainly, security, reliability) and don't have to buy a card. That is unless you have only one point to plug the modem in (I.e. if it's NTL rather than normal broadband through your phone line). Seriously though, I wouldn't bother with wireless networking for desktops, there's no point. Just spend some time wiring the house up and you'll thank me a few months down the line.

EDIT:

What I would suggest is move the broadband modem and router next to one PC, then run cable to the other desktop machine. This will give the best speed, most reliability and most security. Then you can use wi-fi for the laptop, or connect it into a hub next to your new desktop or router if you need to transfer files quickly.

Seems I should read threads :rolleyes:

Oh well, +1 vote for that idea (Y)