Potato Guns!

Ok, I admit this has nothing to do with bikes but has anyone on the trials forum used or experimented with potato guns.If you have please can you give me tips on how to make my gun more reliable or just any comments on experiences that you have had with your gun be it good or bad.

use a slightly moist potato this fires better!

I made one, it was a beast!!!

I went to my local plumbing store and bought lots of drainage pipes (it ended up quite exspensive).

this is how it ended up looking

IPB Image

I had a scew top to the gas chamber, I used butane from a blowtorch as fuel so I had to fill it up and screw the top on quickley.

I used the electronic ignition from a lighter to make a spark, I wired it up to two spokes that peireced eitherside of the gas chamber and stopped 1mm apart, it made a good spark.

I used tennis balls as ammo as the barrel of the gun was pretty large, I put two spokes in an X patern near the gas chamber end to stop the ball from going too far.

now then, the importnant bit! ITS VERY DANGEROUS!!! this one I made nearly killed Iolo, I didnt use strong enough glue on the joins and the whole thing blew up!!! It really winded Iolo :P (fired the ball bloody far though!!!)

I recken a steel virsion of mine all welded up would be ace!!!

it is a potato cannon f**k guns what are you 9???

a potato cannon is a real mans toy!!! my and my mate made one but it didnt have a remote detonating device and you just had to whack you lighter over it an hope for the best

just carry it arround over your shoulder people may give you looks but wont stop you (Y)

I hope you guys know that spud guns/cannons are illegal if they exceed 12fps(most do) and are classed as firearms and if caught with one you could face a prison sentence

Edited by Roman

I hope you guys know that spud guns/cannons are illegal if they exceed 12fps(most do) and are classed as firearms and if caught with one you could face a prison sentence

Whereas riding trials on street pavements and damaging goverment property is completly fine and legal

Back on topic...

Use a piezo switch from a gas bbq as an ignition source. Place it like a trigger under the barrel and wire it in. Hairspray works a treat for a fuel. The more expensive the better. Use a large bore as the fuel chamber and a reducer into a smaller barrel which is just smaller than a tennis ball. Jam it in, fuel it up, screw the cap back on and fire. Frozen oranges work VERY well.

If a bit concerned about your craftmanship and the whole thing exploding then put the leg of an old pair of pants over the barrel. It helps to contain shrapnel.

The REAL fun in pneumatic cannons. Thus is 2 chambers connected by a 90 deg 12V sprinkler valve. One you fill with air, whatever your track pump will put out - say 130psi. Shove whatever you like into the other end. Spuds, last nights dinner, baked beans, fill the barrel with water and freeze it, cut the end of glowsticks and fire them at night etc. Press the button, the valve opens and you'r away.

Disclaimer: I dont condone this type of behaviour :D

Whereas riding trials on street pavements and damaging goverment property is completly fine and legal

Back on topic...

I don't ride on the street nor do I agree with it, and there is a massive difference between riding on the street and little boys playing with FIREARMS,

Roman

I don't ride on the street nor do I agree with it, and there is a massive difference between riding on the street and little boys playing with FIREARMS,

Roman

if your going to make 1 then you know the risks dont you!!! there obiosly not legal however they are bloody fun - arn't foreign over powered BB guns classed as firearms??

I once made two, an upright on and a handheld one.

As previously said, make sure you get some VERY strong glue for it, also, get some gaffertape and put strips around the piping, therefore IF it blows up, you won't be picking bits of plastic out your face.

The upright one was far more fun in my opinion, we extended the wires on a BBQ lighter which allowed us to light it from a good few feet away. Seriously though, if you are going to make one, for f**k sake do it right!

Roman

It's not like someone's gonna go into a bank and rob it with a f**k off potato cannon, are they? :lol:

Nah but if a potatoe lands from a height on to somones head and kills them then its a different story

Lmao, could you imagine it? You'd have to have the worst luck in the world...

A 25 year old, obease, bald man working in a mirror recycling plant who owned 100 black cats and had numerous umbrella's in his house.