Another Magura Question

nafan

I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific to this problem...

Well firstly I have just this morning gave my brake a bit of a service, cleaned pistons out, lubed everything up etc...

I have recently had to bodge my 05 maggie with a nut and bolt (instead of the tpa bolt) and it works ok...

But for some stupid reason one piston is always hugging the rim and the other is miles away... In other words they do not adjust evenly...

No matter what I do the whole thing just messes up... I am getting a new tpa bolt from my dad's friend today I think, but I really don't think that's the problem...

Not only that, if I somehow manage to set it up as well as possible, it will swap around and the other side will hug the rim...

I really do not know what is going on, if someone could help me and I would much appreciate it :)

Cheers, Nathan (Y)

Get some GT85, now hold one piston in and pull the lever til the second one comes out quite far, then squirt some loob on the piston, let it go back in and repeat til the stickiness disappears. This is obviously to be done without pads in. ;)

I have already lubed them up with WD40...

Nathan

i found my old 04 lever did this its been working wank for 3 months or so and had a lazy piston i lubed an lubed and pulled an bled again an again - till i figured enough was enough - my mate was kind enough to give me a maggie front brake he had lying arround just fitting my rear hosing onto it gave it a fresh bleed best thing i ever did now the brakes awsome forgot what it was like to have a brake set up this well ^_^

You don't need to bleed your brake and you don't need to lube the pistons.

It's becuase you have too much TPA ajustment.

What you need to do is undo your tpa (red star) untill the both pads go right back to the cylindars. You'll now find that you need to pull the leaver right back to the bars to make the brake work, that's normal. Now undo the bolts that hold the magura cylindars in place and set them up nice and close to the rim. Some people use a 2p coin in between the brake pads and the rim, the 2p coin width is a good distence of a gap to have between your brake pad and your rim. When they are set up nice and close to the rim, and bolted back down, when you pull the leaver now it shouldn't come all the way back down to the bars, now all you do is use the tpa (red star) to ajust the brake to how you like it. Becuase now you have little tpa ajustment, both pads should retract nicely.

If after doing this you still find one of the pads isn't comming back proporly, repeat what you have just done. Pay extra attention to the underlined part.

*red star = bolt in your case.

Edited by JT!

Yeah my bodge pushes the tpa in way too far but I figured that would be alright, it should be fine once I get my new tpa bolt then...

I will nip up to costmill and do my bodge again tonight, and not glue the nut onto the bolt too far :P

Thanks ever so much guys, Nathan (Y)

Edited by nafan

Well if you can screw the bolt out far enough so that both pads retract, that the bodge is fine, and you need to do what i said.

If the bodge means that you can actually unscrew it enough for both pads to retract then you've done something weird and wonderful and it need sorting out. :S

Cheers everyone I have adjusted the bodge so that the pistons are only adjusted about 2mm each side :)

Seems to be working fine now, was riding well earlier (Y)

Thanks again, especially you JT (Y)

Nathan :P

My brake does it all the time (N) i think i just need to grease the pistons up or lube them as the bleeds fine.

Clarky

Try what i said, it can't not work because once one pad retracts full the other one has too.

Lubing cylinders won't work because one will always be 'freer' than the other, and that's the one that will retract fully.

Even magura say that this problem is created by too much ajustment on the TPA.