Water Or Oil Bleed?

Joey B

its best that you use oil in the winter and water in the summer,if you do use the water in the winter you are most likley to find your brake frozen in the frist 5 minites (Y) it better in the winter to use the magura blood or some other light oils..................in winter ;) BUT USE WATER IN THE SUMMER DEFFO!

danny

Edited by Danny Swindlehurst

What does water being made of two hydrogen atoms being covalently bonded to one water atom have to do with anything? Equally, for the internals to rust (which doesn't happen?), you'd have to have air in there as well anyway, so if you can actually bleed a brake you should be fine.

Just out of curiosity Ash, how would Magura know you'd used water?

With anti-freeze, it doesn't freeze either ;)

Interesting poll

just use oil as this is what the brakes are designed for and you cant actaully feel the difference untill the water freezes and then your brakes dont work. And if you are trying to overcome spongy brake then get a booster and set your brakes up properly and get some good pads. And search for previous topics as i did comment on this issue.

Thanks, hope it helps

Ian Bloomfield

Thanks for all the help guys i'm going to take sunn_bmixx's advice and buy a brake booster and hopefully some new pads, as it was a spongy feeling that i hoped water might solve. has anyone got any recommendations for pads. (that will work well on a smooth rim)

Joe

What? You're actually trying to say there's no difference between oil and water? That's blatantly a lie :S They're different liquids, and they DO feel different to each other! Water has a far faster lever response, simply because it's totally different to mineral oil. The "They're made to work with oil" thing doesn't mean shit either, by the way...

My RB stopped bugger all flex compared to my Team booster, having gone straight from one to the other? How do you mean you have to "set it up properly"?

The RB weighs 68g and the Echo Team 84g, to be fair. That's not really much difference, but the Team does seem to eliminate a load more flex...

Yeah, but the set-up thing applies to anything? The Echo is simply better designed to reduce flex compared to the RB, basically. The 16g also isn't going to make any difference at all. You'd probably make that up anyway from the fact you need 4 longs bolts and 4 spacers to run an RB booster, but only 2 long bolts and spacers and 2 short ones for the Team?

I thought everyone liked the XTR booster, hence there being bidding wars and stuff for them back in the day when they first started getting used on trials brakes? I seem to remember Ad Read profitting nicely from having a couple of them, then selling them on :P

Sounds like bleeding with water is the way to go. will a shop do it for me or should i purchase a bleeding kit. I had a look on "Tarty Bikes" at some brake boosters and as i'm currently doing up my Onza T-Pro with a black and gold colour scheme i want to try a gold brake booster. has anyone had any experience with the Czar 4-Bolt Brake Booster.

You'd probably be better off doing it yourself. Just buy the bleed kit and you're away. Don't forget to thoroughly empty the Magura first though, as if you bleed with water straight after using oil, the residue of the oil can mix with the water and create a white gunk that slows your brake down. If you clean it out properly, or give it a quick bleed again a week or 2 after first bleeding it with water, you should be fine.

You may want to give Tarty a call and double check if the Czar booster has enough tyre clearance for a mod.

What does water being made of two hydrogen atoms being covalently bonded to one water atom have to do with anything? Equally, for the internals to rust (which doesn't happen?), you'd have to have air in there as well anyway, so if you can actually bleed a brake you should be fine.

Just out of curiosity Ash, how would Magura know you'd used water?

With anti-freeze, it doesn't freeze either ;)

Interesting poll

mmm... maybe, but there is still air in the brake right? there has to be because of the oxygen atom.

my maggie would tell me.

mmm... maybe, but there is still air in the brake right? there has to be because of the oxygen atom.

my maggie would tell me.

We went through all this with Waynio... the water particles don't break down, and why aren't you concerned about the hydrogen atoms as well, seeing as they're a gas too?