Summer Solstice

haydon_peter

I just got back from the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge.

Did anyone else go this year? Or previous years? What did you think?

I went with a few mates, one of their mum's and two Australian girls that are currently staying with a mate. This was my first Solstice, I have lived in Salisbury for most of my life and felt it was something I needed to do at least once.

It rained, I got soaked, it was cloudy so we couldnt see the sun rise, oh and I wore a bin bag as a waterproof. I think I will go to another Solstice, but maybe when the weather forecast is clear.

I have work 9-5 today and havent slept since 8:30 yesterday morning! However I know that if I go to bed now I will wake up feeling like absolute shite in a couple of hours so I am not going to bed and am going to catch up on some TV I have recorded...

Basically there is just thousands of different people all sat/stood around chilling out waiting for the sun to rise. There are young people, old people, families, hippies, stoners, complete wasters, pikeys, druids etc...

A lot of people were just socailising with mates drinking, some people were totally off their faces (You could smell Canabis it in the air and some people were blatantly tripping on other things :P ), you then had druids doing their religious stuff, people using pois, playing drums etc... etc...

Its free to get in and people are allowed to walk around the stones (I touched one HAHA), usually you have to pay and the stones are fenced off so you cant get any closer than a good 20-30m away.

Its really not too easy to explain, I was expecting it to be totally different, It was deffinately a worthwhile experience!

If you google image search 'Summer Solstice' you can find some sites with galleries from previous years (Y)

• 3 years later...

MASSIVE BUMP

Longest day of the year again today...

OK, so I went to the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge again last night/today. (I have now been 3 times, 2006, 2008 and 2009).

2006 and 2008 were both very wet, this year it was dry! Even though it was dry there was cloud cover so we didn't see the sun rise haha

Around 40,000 people went this year, I think this higher number was because the Solstice fell on a weekend. The A360 was closed and A303 was an absolute mess and was queuing back in both directions for most of the night!

Seeing as I originally made this thread a few years ago I will ask again, who else has been to a Solstice at Stonehenge and what did you think of it?

Just saw some pics on Facebook of some mates that went, the A303 looked like a f**king car park!

Looked like fun though, you seemed to be able to get right up to the rocks themselves rather being restrained by a barrier?

Its free to get in and people are allowed to walk around the stones (I touched one HAHA), usually you have to pay and the stones are fenced off so you cant get any closer than a good 20-30m away.

10 points to whoever's the first to tag one :P

Sounds cool, but is too much of a mission for me, watching the sun rise with a load of mates after a big night out or camping or whatever is always amazing though so I imagine this would be even better.

Looked like fun though, you seemed to be able to get right up to the rocks themselves rather being restrained by a barrier?
Yep you can every year and hopefully it will continue.

Last night some guy got up on the stones and was jumping across from one to the other posing while people took photos of him, he then tried to do a headstand but failed :lol:

There was a massive police presence there last night compared to previous years!

I went this year. Took about an hour to get from havant to the express inn on the A303 - and about 3.5 hours from there to the carpark (which was about a mile from the hotel).

My first time at the stones and despite the horriffic traffic, being knackered, the sickening stench of weed, masses of people off their heads, I will be attending next year (but leaving somewhat earlier!)

Andy

I'll upload a couple of pics if I can be arsed.