What Is The Difference Between Dishing And Truing A Wheel

monty221pr

Dishing is where you get your rim central to the hub flanges, isnt it ? :S

Yep.

Dishing is getting the wheel centred properly.

And truing is making sure it runs in a straught line...

So if you spin your wheel, and it goes side to side, it isn't tru.

Well they are linked with one another. Truing a wheel is tightening or loostening the spokes from either side of the hub to get the rim running straight in the frame and between the brake pads.

On the rear wheel the hub is offset to one side because you have your freewheel on the drive side, so to get the rim in the centre of the frame the spokes on the drive side are shorter than on the other side. How much shorter/tighter these are is the "dish" of the wheel.

If you are looking to build a wheel I would get you local bike shop to do it, I trust myself with everything else on my bike accept this because it's quite technical and obv very important to get it right. If you're just looking to straighten out an egged or buckled wheel then you should only need to worry about truing, the dish will already be set when the wheel was made!

xSxEx

There seems to be this massive cloud of mystery hanging over wheelbuilding, like it's some black magic or something - it really isn't :) If you get the right spoke lengths for your wheel, print off a guide like the one on www.GSportBMX.com or www.SheldonBrown.com, you can get it built up in no time, and you'll have a great wheel. Above all, you'll also have the tenner you'd have spent on the wheelbuild.

If you're able to true a wheel, you're definitely able to build one. All it takes is a little background knowledge about what effects tightening/loosening nipples has, and you're good to go (Y) It's well worth trying out, 'cos it's pretty hard to ruin a wheel so much it's not salvageable at all. After one or two builds you'll know how to do it off by heart anyway, and then you'll be able to whip through them.

There seems to be this massive cloud of mystery hanging over wheelbuilding, like it's some black magic or something - it really isn't :) If you get the right spoke lengths for your wheel, print off a guide like the one on www.GSportBMX.com or www.SheldonBrown.com, you can get it built up in no time, and you'll have a great wheel. Above all, you'll also have the tenner you'd have spent on the wheelbuild.

If you're able to true a wheel, you're definitely able to build one. All it takes is a little background knowledge about what effects tightening/loosening nipples has, and you're good to go (Y) It's well worth trying out, 'cos it's pretty hard to ruin a wheel so much it's not salvageable at all. After one or two builds you'll know how to do it off by heart anyway, and then you'll be able to whip through them.

I bought a new rim recently and was tempted to give it a go myself, but I'd have no idea how to figure out what size spokes I need, and by the time I'd taken it into the bike shop to ask them it just seemed easier to let them do it...... yes I am a chicken!!!!!

So...... can you shed light on this, is there any way of figuring out what spokes you need or is it an "ask the experts" type of this?

Maybe next time I need a new front wheel I'll give it a go, probably safer than going for a real wheel, and more straight forward!!

xSxEx

You can measure up your hub and rim and use a spoke calculator that are pretty easy to find online, or you can just ask people like Tartybikes (which is what I usually do, 'cos I get my spokes from there too).

Doing front or rear wheels is pretty straight forward, they're both as easy as each other, assuming you don't have a cassette in the way on your back wheel (if you run singlespeed you may have to remove the sprocket, but not always. If it's mod, it's no problem :)). It's simple enough to build wheels anyway, so you won't mess them up. It just takes a bit of patience to follow the wheelbuilding guide first, and then you'll be fine. If you've got any specific questions, you can fire me a PM if you want, 'specially seeing as you're a full member now (Y)