How To Fakie

duane

Heatsinks way of learning is a very good one so try it. Fakies being impressive, i never really took any notice. Thats cool though.

I think maybe you have reached the point in learning where you have the ability and knowledge of how to do it but just require practice now. So i guess keep trying it and it will get more fun every meter you go (backwards).

You could try having a go at fakeing a little faster. This should help you stay up.

I want to try and avoid hopping and just steer to stay up, so if I initiate the move with a straight endo which comes down straight, I roll backwards for at most a bike length before the bike keels over to one side or the other, I could learn to hop the bike back under me, but surley there is a way to steer it back under or something else cleaner than hopping ?

Yeah of course there is - Turning the bars! If you're falling off to the right, you need to turn the bars to the right (I.e. pull your right hand towards you). But try not to think about it too much or you'll probably confuse yourself, it should just be something that you'll pick up with practise I'm afraid.

Hi All,

I went skiing this morning and was c5ap at that too, my legs were all over the place, going to take a few days rest then its back to the fakies. Tomm's answer is basically what I am looking for, but I was expecting the answer to be the opposite - ie. if I am falling to the right shouldn't I pull the left hand in towards me - ie do the opposite to normal riding because I am going in the opposite direction ? Then again Eskimo is probably right I should stop thinking and keep practicing I could probably use a bit more speed to.

For what its worth it was 45 degrees here today so an hour of fakies or doing six back hops in a row is probably the same effort as running a personal best 5k road race in UK weather. At least the snow is cold http://www.skidxb.com/

Cheers

Duane.

I find the main thing is where you put your body weight. If you keep your body weight above just behind your stem, and try and keep your arms and legs sorta neutral so they're not affecting the bike too much, it's a lot easier. That's what I found with my BMX at least, and I can go fakie OK on that. It's harder on my trials bike simply because I'm used to using pedal pressure to modulate my speed on my BMX, but on my trials bike the gear's so much spinnier it's easier to just stop the bike totally as opposed to gradually slowing you down. Either way, just learn to keep your weight over your bars, and don't think too much about the direction you need to go in when you're going fakie. The more you think about it the more you tend to f**k up in my experience, so just go with the flow, basically. It's one of those tricks that's all about feel, not about theory ;)

To turn out of it, just apply a bit of pedal pressure, and as you do so give the bars a little tweak in the opposite direction to the way you want to spin (so it starts the spin for you 'cos of the way you're steering from the back of the bike now), and pop your hips a little like you're about to manual. It's an easy way of getting out of fakie that doesn't look all awkward like most trials riders seem to make it by grabbing a handful of back brake (Y)

• Like 1