New Bb Time

CurtisRider

righty the standard onza bb on my zoot has decided to be annoying, the axle moves from side to side so my cranks knock the chainstays unless you kick it back to the middle-bit annoying and im guessing something is broken inside so i dont trust it :(

righty i know the un52 is a great little bb, but is there anything else worth considering? ive seen a few more expensive units but never really heard anything about them? i presume not many companies have bothered to release new style square bbs cos they are out of date, just a possibility somebody has though :)

Raceface do a couple taper BB's they seem to be solid and i've never had any problem with the bearings in their higher end bottem brakets. (Y)

yeah i was looking at them, but i had heard they snap pretty easily? if the isis bbs by them are anyhting to go by then they certainly are shite

I just use un53's, like £13 inc postage or summat of crc, never had a problem

and you can replace it a few times for the cost of an expensive one...

Or there is a better one with a stronger axle for about £17 i think (Y)

ive had several un52s(53 just being the newer name i think?) and they were pretty good, bent and snapped a few but i was doing dj and stuff back then and i was landing stupidly heavy! still good bbs though considering! that model up you mentioned is the xt i think, which have the hollow axles-they snap stupidly easy

ive had several un52s(53 just being the newer name i think?)

Nah, the un53 is better quality i think, although it is newer so im not entirely sure...

They certainly are not the same though (Y)

Ive heard the more expensive Raceface ones are alright, but at around £50 I would just be happy to snap 5 un53s...

Raceface also dont do a 127.5 square taper BB. and a friend whos an extremely light and not knarly rider snapped a Ti one (N)

I say UN53 all the way, bearings are superb, its fully sealed and the drive side cup is steel not wanky aluminium so it doesnt round off, plus cheap as chips (Y)

Ive heard the more expensive Raceface ones are alright, but at around £50 I would just be happy to snap 5 un53s...

im sure the resulting hole in your calf would disagree!

BB snaps are SO dangerous, ive seen snapped axles sticking out rip through the inside of your calves :S not pretty.

i never had a problem with the old un72's, snapped a load of 52's though :(

ISIS for the win!

im sure the resulting hole in your calf would disagree!

BB snaps are SO dangerous, ive seen snapped axles sticking out rip through the inside of your calves :S not pretty.

i never had a problem with the old un72's, snapped a load of 52's though :(

ISIS for the win!

isis=snap happy too, myself and my friends have raped countless isis bbs of varying quality :( hence moving back to square taper-which so far has been ok apart from this onza bb being a bit ermmm shoddy

3 piece is where it is at :shifty: or external bb, i loooooved my saint cranks

what difference is there between un52/3 and un72/3?

what difference is there between un52/3 and un72/3?

53 is better quality/ better bearings than 52 and is newer i think,

The 72 is generally better quality than the 52/3 i.e. better bearings/ materials, dont know about the 73.

Ive heard it is a bit stronger too.

Edited by adamtrials

The 73 is like a 53 but with a hollow axel.

If you look at where most 53s snap its where the hole for the crank bolt ends, as the end of the hole creates a stress riser. By having the hole drilled right through theres no stress riser, and therefore lasts longer. Its also lighter as theres less metal. Either way go for a 72/3.