Trials Rider Riding And Learning On Non Trials Bike - Advice Needed

fordy

hi everyone.. i just want to know if taking off the gear changing mechanisms will reduce weight?

i have a saracen axl

IPB Image

I have learnt to trackstand and im now just improving.. i have also learnt how to get on the back wheel but when i do i just fall back forward.. anyone help me out?

thanks.

hmm, it is possible, i started off on a non trialsy frame. Get yourself some cheap rigid forks, some onza tuf guys would be ideal. Taking off the gear mechs would save a bit of weight but just be painful and get in the way. Look on www.chainreactioncycles.com for a cheap single speed kit and get some different cranks and you should be well on your way.

more than likely your falling forward because the bike is to heavy but i would say it may be better to learn as many of the basics as you can that dont involve you haveing to be on the back wheel. when you have the money then get a decent secoundhand or new trials bike. because i fell you will just be wasting your money making miner changes to save weight ect as your bikr will more than like still weigh alot. just persavier as much as you can on that bike having ago on other peoples trials bikes if your mates have them, and then just buy one.

i know everyone start somewhere, but someone told me that practice makes ' permanent' if you learn on that when u do get a trials specific bike, you will basically have to start again due to your techniques being ' unusable' for want of a better word.

the best thing you can do.. if you want to is.. sell that bike and buy a budget trials specific bike to learn on.

You'll enjoy the sport a whole lot more as well.

i learnt on an old club roost stinger ( 14 inch frame ) with kinesis maxlight forks, like a godamn chopper lol, it may be easier to get a trials bike stright off but if you start on a shed and then upgrade you feel boss when you do lol, main thing for me was the clearance on the BB when i rolled up things, all good fun though and that's why you do it yes?

You'll be alright, I started learning on a Trek 810 which had a frame size of roughly 1900 inches, and I still don't have a full-on trials specific but I'm doing ok I think!

The only thing I will say is that its best to leave the big moves, even when you get a bit better, until you get yourself a more upmarket steed, just because its safer that way.