My Big Brake Mistake.

ChrisP

I bought a new avid juicy 5 '05 rear brake the other day and it is in the process of bedding in still (i think) but a friend i met at the park said putting cola on it would make it sharper which it did but at the expense of an insanely loud noise whenever i use it. I know it was stupid to let him do it but i didn't think it would hurt too much.

Anyway how can i clean the coke off get rid of the noise. Also if anyone knows how i can make it sharper without fizzy drinks it would be great :)

yea never use shitty coke on your rims, but as you were mislead mate i would say take the wheels off then rub some white spirit around the rims. it will not go burning your rims up or take the paint off... just dont really rub it hard into any stickers if you want to keep them lol :)

DO NOT USE WHITE SPIRIT its oil based and leaves a resadue use your friend petrol it all evaprates off and takes any oil or coke with it and discs dont tend to be as sharp as they sort of flex with the spokes and things wich in a way seems to make them work better as they twist on if you understand what i mean makes sence to me any way good luck (to bed it in just drag the break for a good while get him nice and toasty)

DO NOT USE WHITE SPIRIT its oil based and leaves a resadue use your friend petrol it all evaprates off and takes any oil or coke with it and discs dont tend to be as sharp as they sort of flex with the spokes and things wich in a way seems to make them work better as they twist on if you understand what i mean makes sence to me any way good luck (to bed it in just drag the break for a good while get him nice and toasty)

dont use petrol either, its also oil based :rolleyes: use an alcahol based cleaner, some of thew finish-line citrus cleaners are good. to be honest though, i'd just use water.

I have this spray can stuff from halfords but i dont know if its a cleaner. It has a hyped up title like "Ultra performace spray". I'll just stick to good old water and a rough sponge. I also have something called "Muc-Off" it thats any good?

yeah that will do it petrols made form crewd oil but its not oil based ha ha and it all evaporates off wherre as white spirit doesnt im not havign a go or any thing just didnt want oil getting in the lads pads.

ben

just use water its the safest think as it wont leave a residue. it shud wear off though the coke with time just like tar. you could also heat the disk up and then plunge it into cold water but this will weaken it slightly, but will stererlise the rotar.

yes but he has to swill it all of with water after (Y)

Right let me just see if i got this right :D

-No white spirit

-No petrol

-Nothing oil based

+An alcohol cleaner..

+water

~heating then cooling but may weaken the rotor

The coke hasn't damaged anything permanently has it? pardon my lack of knowledge.

Edited by ChrisP

Hope Shit shifter on avid pads is shite.

Just take yours pads out, and you rotor off, and whack em in boling hot water for a few minutes. The scrub them with a jiffy pad.

Whack it back together, and you'll have to play bedding your brake in again. To do this, drag it along, until it gets really hot, and you legs start to hurt, then poor some water over it, and carry on doing this for a while.

Hope Shit shifter on avid pads is shite.

Just take yours pads out, and you rotor off, and whack em in boling hot water for a few minutes. The scrub them with a jiffy pad.

Whack it back together, and you'll have to play bedding your brake in again. To do this, drag it along, until it gets really hot, and you legs start to hurt, then poor some water over it, and carry on doing this for a while.

I just pour cold water over the rotor, then ride really fast and pull the brake hard, it makes a funny noise then bites. Job done, always works with my bb7.

As for the dirty pads, boil or sand the crap off, then bed in.

you can get special disc and rim cleaner people use it on motorbikes i use it on mine it works ace and does not affect your brakes some people use coke on discs when there pads are mucky it cleans them some people say i got told by staff in halfords.