Disc Brake, What Do You Have?

Egg Fried Rice

Get a Mono trials.

Mini's arn't really powerful enough when compared to the other 2.

Try-All brakes are identical to the mono trials other than laser etched logos and a special rotor, which, helpfully, comes in a non-standard 190mm size.

And good luck getting hold of one anyway.

* the hope mono trial

* hope try all disc brake

basically the same brake, just 1 is more expensive and uses a slightly bigger rotor

new hope mono mini=gash (i had 2 of them and neither were much use)

old hope mini=uuuuber :) (i have had 3 of them and all have been superb)

im currently running a mono trial, wouldnt recomend it, also ran an avid juicy 5, would recomend that for sure :) , same goes with the bb7-i had 2 and both were superb, also had both the mono4 and the m4s, again the mono ones sucked :( but the older callipers were excellent! hayes brakes arent all that fun either, really dull feel and blunt to use :(-mine were hfx 9s

im gonna get the juicy ultimate when it comes out for sure :)

I have an Avid 203mm with XTR lever and hosing. Could be a bit more on/off though.. other than that it's perfect!

Hope mono trial =hope tryall. Except for the tryall having a 190mm rotor... so you can only run in on the koxx forxx...

Hope mini doesn't have the lock of a mono trial, due to smaller pistons. Other than that, they're identical.

eidt: I'm too slow...

Edited by Chris

I use the mono trial, I used to use the standard mini.

The mono trial is generally good. The quality of all the parts are up to the usual standards of hope. The brake is powerful AND has good modulation. The rotor that mine came with was known to crack although i believe they have slightly changed the design to make it stronger. There is a small amount of flex in the caliper despite it being a single piece design simply because of the power of the brake.

The standard mini is not powerful enough of trials in my opinion. You may get away with it for mod, but for stock it is a no. It again retains the high standards of hope. The feel is slightly better because the less powerful pistons flex the caliper less hence less sponge. However this isn't a complete winner over the mono trial.

The hope Try-all is exactly the same as the mono trial just with fancy coloured bits. The actual internals and mechanism are identical. The only thing that may effect performance is the rotor - being a wavy rotor with quite a few odd shaped holes may make a difference - but it wouldn't be that noticable.

i use an old skool mini, 185 rotor/goodridge hosing/EBC reds and its SMASHIN' ( its definately more than enough power for a stock bike ) fair enough it doesn't have as much bite you get from the mono trial but it generally feels much better than a mono trial in my opinion...

got it second hand off my mate and i haven't had any problems since, neither have him in the past 2/3 years!

don't know where you can get 1 nowadays though, many people have realised the original silver hopes where couple of times better than the monos'.

steve

At the moment i only have an Avid juicy 5 160mm on my street bike, this brake is superb.

I've had loads of other disk brakes over the years though.

Hope mini (original) probably the best brake i have ever used, had in 160 and 180.

Hope M4 ( original) very good brake, only had it in the rear but it had amazing stopping power.

Hope mono mini: Crap brake, they have major brake fade and they never actually bite on.

I've also had some cable disk eg Clarks, Shimano, Grimeca but these are nothing to rave about.

I've heard that some of the Shimano hydraulics brakes are superb like the XT and Saint.

As for the Mono Try all, a couple of my friends run them on their bikes and i must say they are great, i actually think they have too much bite for my liking.

I had a old style mini off here for £25, best money I ever spent, was amazing on my jump bike with long forks, thus means more leverage, it would have been unreal on a mod and still super sex on a stock, I would say go for one if you can find one.

I'll let you know about my heatsinks tomorrow as they ain't on yet.

my disc brake is shite to be quite honest, its a maggie louise, but that could be the fact that it was contaminated :- I have now bent the rotor as well, so until i can afford a new rotor, i'll be front brake less. I'll be getting a 203mm rotor with a +40 mm adaptor and a fresh bleed as well as some new pads. So i will tell you how that holds up (Y).

Speaking of which, which pads shall i buy? i know jack shiznit about disc brakes you see.

Edited by Barber