Bashplates

monty221pr

many new mod frames are being build without bash plates such as the GU Typhoon or the Zoo Python is it purely to save weight or is their a real reason for it :huh:

pretty sure its for uci trials or something i dnt see how it makes much of a difference thouth but im not totally sure.

It can help with clearance under the frame as a bash guard sits lower. This means it would help for uci riding, but if see most pictures of uci competitions many people use koxx bikes which have a bash guard.

It can help having a bash guard, if you know you cant clear an obstacle in a section and instead of getting a five you can hop to bash guard and get a 1 i believe it is (look in some world round videos there will be some examples), where as if you have a bash ring it is much harder to do.

Thats why many people say that bikes without bash guards are more designed for street.

Edited by huck_it

I can fit an armourdillo on mine GU, it is a bit tight but if fits fine.

It does help having a bash guard because if you muck up say backwheeling something and the rear wheel slides down, you will just land on the bash guard.

i ride a monty so have a bashguard which i probably use my bash more in street then natural as their are alot more chances of slipping back for instance when back wheeling a railing, slipping on to a ring just throws u right of the side were as a bash plate, it sits on the rail giving a decent amount of time to dismount the bike with out injury if u are lucky. (Y)

After riding stock for nearly 3 years then switching to mod i can safely say the bashplate is the most under rated part about mods. Its so bloody useful its unreal. If you ride natural, trying to get up a rock and f**k up going to front or back wheel. You always seem to find your bashplate has grabbed hold (yes not very uci) and from this you can switch straight back up to backwheel from the plate. This rarely every happened when i rode stock and the fact you only have a bashguard on one side means you have to balance to that side to compensate.

The plate also has worked as a great frame saver when it comes to rails in general. On stock i'd find that a bail on a rail would result in a nice dent on the bottom of my down tube either that or it twats the bash and then runs off to the frame. With the bashplate it either just balances on the rail or hits and slides off, but since its longer it soaks up all of the impact resulting in no dent.

I seriously cant see why people are sticking bashguards on mods.. there should definitely be more plate orientated mods out there. If its all about clearence then fair enough bur your only gaining a couple of cm at best.

id rather run a bash plate for street because id allways worry about the risk of hitting my frame

still i see no reason why you have to run a bash plate in comp i no a fair few riders that dont

and there riding fine with out then

thanks dan

i ride a zoo python with tensile cranks and front freewheel . i ride without a bashguard and without a bashring. i have had no problems yet. (touch wood) but i do not see the point in it all if your going to come crashing down when your back wheeling your going to come crashing down.

i had a bash plate on my last bike and i split it in two. (N) It didn't help the bike at all it just made it heavy and gave it a weak spot and finally after a few monts it cracked near the bashplate and chainstay.

so to me i think they are useless i prefer my python without a bash ring it gives me more of an incentive to get up things. get up or brake your bike i find it helps a little bit.

I have a GU Typhoon and i ride it at bradbury and when you go for a gap and slip down to bashring it is a lot harder to keep on it than a bashplate.

I was just thinking about that the other day when i was sat looking at my GU, I said to my mate why do you think a Gu and other mod frames dont have a bashplate and we come to the conclusion that these kind of frames may just be made for street.

i use ma bash loads in street say the wall is to high to back wheel or go straight up, their is still the option of getting up using your bash, they are especailly useful when riding thin walls as plates are the easiest option if u are going bash to backwheel :shifty:

and is also the reason i would have a zona not a python (BASHPLATE)

Edited by monty221pr

I also ride a GU and I find that you learn to balance the bash with the left crank,therefore having the same effect as a bash plate. I find that once you have learnt how to do this it doesnt matter wether you have a bash or a bash ring.

Abe

Lets repeat everything that everyone has repeated like 10 each, then verify it.

"you will probably get more clearance in UCI" well, basically, whats the need in having a bach guard in UCI... when your not even meant to use the bash :S

"you get better balance" thats what your left had crank arm is for

"i use ma bash loads in street say the wall is to high to back wheel or go straight up" Ride smaller walla intill you can backwheel that high... unless you will just learn to go to bash guard, and not to back wheel.

"I said to my mate why do you think a Gu and other mod frames dont have a bashplate and we come to the conclusion that these kind of frames may just be made for street" Why just for street? seeing as there isnt any trials competitions that are in the "street" trials is baised around competitions.

"still i see no reason why you have to run a bash plate in comp i no a fair few riders that dont

and there riding fine with out then" They will probably be riding better in a few years time that what people ride bikes with a bash plate, as they have to learn how to go straight to 2/1 wheel(s) without using their bash, and therefore, learn to do bigger things. people with bash's "cheat" because they know if they fail, they are just going to hit their bash plate, when people with a guard, know if they fell, they will probably hit their frame.. making them "go for" the move alot more, and in most cases, succeed in trying that move.

Thats what i think anyways :)

UCI 4 LYF BRUVAS
Edited by terror-error