My Back Brake Is Not Up To Standard Please Help !

$IL3NT.

ok i just bought a second hand bike da bomb ill send a pic of it some time. :D

its got magura h33s rear and front hydraulic rim brakes but the tap on the rear one does no work on the brake lever but the rear brake is not up to standard. :(

i have slipped out and landed on my back a few times now and iv only had the bike about 3 days. this is dangerous. :(

i thought these brake are some of the best there are :D

can anyone give me any advice on how to fix / improve the braking strength and power because i feel unsafe on the rear wheel :ermm:

please heeeelp !!

Everyone may use hs-33 brakes but no-one should keep them standard as they will slip with trials riding. Right there are a few factors you need to consider when making your brake better:

1. Dont use magura pads, go for some trials persific pads there are loads, check out tartybikes for a good range.

2. Is your rim smooth or ground. Many people grind there rims with an angle grinder to make a uneven rough surface, this helps the pads bite but some pads were down alot quicker with a grind.

3. Are you using tar. Tar or bitchum (sp?) can be rubbed onto a rim to give more bite and hold in the rear brake.

Other factors that you can take into consideration is to get your brake bleed every now and then to keep it in good working order. Try some cnc'd brake mounts to hold you brake tight. Get a booster, this goes ontop of your brake mounts and stops your frame flexing under braking pressure. Also even try a braided cable, this will give you a more smoother lever/piston action and will be very hard to brake if you fall onto it.

But we really need to know your brake setup before we can give relevant help, and decide what you need.

EDIT : If you need to talk about your setup, i can give you some suggestions if you add me to msn. (address in profile)

Edited by thwaites14

Give your rim a light grind and buy some plazmatic crm pads, your brake will work a beast , and whack a bit of tar on aswell (Y), or if you wanna keep your rim smooth you could try out the new onza citrus pads, i had a go on a bike in supercycles with them on a smooth rim and the brake was immense didn't slip or roll at all (Y) .

i have 1 other problem and i dont know how to fix it

there are taps on the brake leaver to adjust how far down you push them for them to work i think but my rear brake tap does not work anyone know how to fix it ? :S

It's a tpa. ;)

You might need to buy a new one, tarty sell magura levers so it might be worth checking them out.

Hey Dean,

Glad we fianly got somewhere with it all! You'll get the hang of things soon enough!

There are many sticks here that will help you outy and i'm always online so feel free to ask me mate!

I'll try and explaine it as easy as i can for you!

As the other guys have said and as did i pads, rim/grind/bleed are what you also need to sort and thinkabout

Find out if any other to you ride and if sothey might be able to help you out in person as to us here and me on MSN

Just as wlel for MSN and a webcam eh!

Pete

Make sure th ebrake is actually set up correct for a start.

Clean the pads/ buy new ones if you must.

Grind the rim or give it a good clean with fairy liquid an hot water.

Use as little TPA as possible, so try and set the calipers straight and closeish to the rim. A 2p helps here with allignment. stick it between rim and pads, push pads straight an flat against it, align pads to the shape of the rim, tighten, remove coin an your set to go!

Might have to bed the rim in now, just drag the brake for a few seconds.

jobs a goodun!

As the other guys have said and as did i pads, rim/grind/bleed are what you also need to sort and thinkabout

Find out if any other to you ride and if sothey might be able to help you out in person as to us here and me on MSN

Just as wlel for MSN and a webcam eh!

Pete

in the words of my mentor...........................DOH wtf

Make sure th ebrake is actually set up correct for a start.

Clean the pads/ buy new ones if you must.

Grind the rim or give it a good clean with fairy liquid an hot water.

Use as little TPA as possible, so try and set the calipers straight and closeish to the rim. A 2p helps here with allignment. stick it between rim and pads, push pads straight an flat against it, align pads to the shape of the rim, tighten, remove coin an your set to go!

Might have to bed the rim in now, just drag the brake for a few seconds.

jobs a goodun!

I tried this a while back but i couldn't get the 2p's out afterwards how do you do it?