Trials For Adult Begginers?

Odinpalen

Hello everybody.

Just wondering if there are any good places to read or train for trials. I am a 29 year old male. ( Sigh..)

I have just found out about trials and love it. I have a Norco Evolve which is a entry level bike. I bought the Ryan Leetch video called mastering the art of trials. It is pretty good but I want to read more and learn more about the skills and how to perform them. Not just the physical steps, but the mindset you need to do the skills aswell.

I wish I had known about trials 15 years ago...

Thanks.

well to start with you need a trials bike (which you have i think)

and practice the basics

balance (track stand) etc... :-

then you ll be off u way to do the Arts of trials (Y)

good luck

Um... a gd place...

well i think it depends on what your practicein really

so for trackstand i find the best place

is some where like a corradoor

wide enought for your bike then if u fall to the left or right you ll hav the wall to keep your self up

Edited by ffdevil

well to start with you need a trials bike

and practice the basics

balance (track stand) etc... :-

then you ll be off u way to do the Arts of trials (Y)

good luck

Yes the Norco Evolve is a trials bike. Thanks for the tip.

My Bike

Aside from tips from readers is there any dedicated documentation or tutorials?

Hello everybody.

Just wondering if there are any good places to read or train for trials. I am a 29 year old male. ( Sigh..)

I have just found out about trials and love it. I have a Norco Evolve which is a entry level bike. I bought the Ryan Leetch video called mastering the art of trials. It is pretty good but I want to read more and learn more about the skills and how to perform them. Not just the physical steps, but the mindset you need to do the skills aswell.

I wish I had known about trials 15 years ago...

Thanks.

i've just started

im 41

and luvin it

You'd probobly find more like minded canadians over on observedtrials.net.

While ryan leech is a fairly good rider, I wouldn't recommend his vid's to anyone just starting out. His 'manifesto' style, trying to ride without correctional hops, may be considered smooth, but it's not really a good way to learn.

Once you've got the basics dialled, certainley give it a go, but f**k me it just seems so pointless and gay. Who care's if you hop on a rock twice rather than once....

Hey it's great to see a fellow Canadian on here. As said above, Trashzen is pretty useful for describing quite a number of Trials moves. Honestly though, try watching some trials vids. There is an awesome Videos section here that often contains videos of some of the best riders in the world; these UK'ers are some skilled individuals! I've found the videos help me learn simply by mimmicking the moves as best I can, not to mention they're pretty inspiring which should help you get in the right mindset as you spoke of. Have fun!

Sweet find! (Y)

Keep em comming.

I am from the City of Saskatoon in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada.

Hey dude,

I would deffinatly check observedtrials.net annd also biketrial.ca it may help you find some riders around your area that you could ride with, that will help you progress and learn new moves and get you started.

Matt.

Edit" Observedtrials.net is the USA trials forum

Biketrial.ca is the Canada trials forum

Edited by Gilman

These forums are a nice find.

Yeah you might want to Edit this post after the first few weeks

I also agree with jake, manifesto is a crap way to learn how to trials ride. When you get better ofcourse feel free.... just like to see it done consistantly on natural :P

Trashzen as said by zoo baby is a great starter. If not maybe just watching a few euro vids could inspire you and teach you :) The drop gap thing is a UK thing* though, so don't worry if it seems a bit insane

Other than that enjoy :)

*Honestly

just get to grips with your bike, and start out with some nice small drops, and gaps, then of course move onto bigger things... but never run before you can walk because you will end up hurt :P.. and of course..

:helmet: !

not trying to sound rude but how comes you have 5 posts but your validated?

i learned stuff in this order:

trackstand

backhop (from endo) till i managed about 8 hops

normal back hop, till about 20 hops

pedal kick

sidehop from 2 wheels till i got 20 inch

sidehop from 1 wheel, highest is 39 inch now

pedal up, highest is 33inch now

and some random stuff like spins, you dont really need it in trials but it keeps you from getting bored from practising the same thing the whole time :)

been riding for 4 months and a bit and i feel like its going pretty well

not sure if it works that way for stock too though..

and about places, a long wall that rises along the way (if you get what i mean, not sure how to say in english) works really well because you can try a bit higher each time

and pallets are great aswell :)

hope this helped :)

I never really tried to learn to trackstand - I've managed 2 years of trials without needing to stay still for more than a second or two.

I generally just huck it and roll instead - or if I really have to stop, there's usually something I can prop myself up against.

balance is for fags :P

(disclaimer: i'm not suggesting this is the best way to go about learning to ride trials - it's just that you don't need to spend 6 months doing boring shit like balancing before you can progress to fun stuff like hurling yourself up big stuff)

I started dabbling in trials about 6 years ago aged 32. I bought "Tricks & Stunts" & started off on a bog standard MTB. I've continued off & on over the years but I recently bought a trials specific frame & have started getting really into it again. I can't think of better exercise for *ahem* guys of our age! XC & downhill riders don't worry about age, so why should trials riders.

Number one tip - shin guards, trust me!

Good luck

balance is for fags :P

(disclaimer: i'm not suggesting this is the best way to go about learning to ride trials - it's just that you don't need to spend 6 months doing boring shit like balancing before you can progress to fun stuff like hurling yourself up big stuff)

balance is for people who take their time at trials and actually get good at it... balance is everything

The first thing I noticed with trials is how physically demanding it is.

1. Because of very poor technique, my lower back was / is killing me.

2. Gripping the handle bars with 3 fingers and thumb was tuff. Oh did I mention those nasty painfull

callouses you have to get used too.

3. Because of very poor technique, I had very sore wrist from landing front tire first off drops.

4. Get shin guards, or be scarred for life like me. (Spiked pedals really hurt bad) And I almost broke my

shin when one foot slipped and the pedal slammed backwards into my other leg. Took a while to ride that one off...

5. I suggest some sort of small thin back pack with a shirt or two stuffed in it, to help cushion the blow or scrapes to your spine when you fall backwards off your bike. ( And you will ) My brake pad came loose and rotated off the rim. Not enough threads on the factory nut to keep it tight. Part replaced immediately.

I am also thinking about wearing a hockey can or ( protection for your balls ) as ramming the goose neck and handle bars into your crotch could prove fatal some day??????

We have not even started with the emotional aspect of trials....

Any other noobs have tips?

Hey, i also have that Rhyn Leech dvd :ermm: but i think the best way to learn and practise is by getting some mates intrested or find some local people who do trials and ride!!!.

I didnt have a clew like most people when the start, but getting out and riding with friends is in my experance the best way of learning. You can keep and watching the video over and over which i spoze will help you in a way but spend some real time on you bike and i am sure you will progress well (Y)

Mat

Pshh..Us British folk take pain like a man...

...Roling on the floor in pain when we've smacked our nads on the stem... B)

Umm yeah...Getting used to callouses is fun...I might reccomend getting some Foam grips.

I got some Halfords foam grips used on race bikes i think.

They were really long, so I cut them in half, and they're the perfect size.

If you can find some like that, then they're great!

Only cost me £5.

You said you're lower back is killing you? - Mine does that occasionaly (And I'm only 16), Just try sitting right up for a while, stretch for a bit, then ride for a while. Should be ok after that.. :ermm:

Getting your technique right is all down to practise, which I'm sure you know.

I find watching other video's of a variety of different riders helps. Pretty much all 'tricks' are done the same way.

Just watch them over and over, slowing it down, playing it frame by frame if you can, to see how it's all done. Then go practise!

Your bike looks great for starting on!

It might be worth upgrading the back brake to a Magura HS33, then buying some Trials specific pads for it.

I say this becuase Magura's have so much power, that is brilliant for Trials. And then the trials specific pads (Eg, Zoo, Plazmatic CRMs, etc) are made from so many different compounds, and have been tested as much as possible to provide the lock that is needed.

It may sound like more money being spent on the bike, but it will be worth it.

If you don't want to spend so much on new parts, Have a look for some Plazmatic CRV pads.

These are really good trials pads for V brakes.

What I might have just said might have made no sense, but have a look at some online shops like TartyBikes.

They are a UK based company, and are the majority of UK riders favourite shop, they might be able to ship parts out to you in Canada if you want, but don't quote me on that.

Umm..yeah, as someone has already said, Trashzen is great for learning everything!

Observedtrials.net might be a more suitable forum for you, as Trials-Forum is a UK based one, so it's full of us British folk. :P

OTN (ObservedTrials.Net) is mainly used by riders in the US. (Y)

Can't think of anything else to say, so just have fun riding! And I hope what i've just typed out helps you in some way... :ermm: