Some Guidlines On Hopping

trials_noob

I recorded me trying to hop on the rear wheel today and was wondering if the more experienced riders could give me some tips on how to balance better and hop better after watching the video?

Clicky

I can manage a couple hops before loosing balance at the moment. I have been practising for about a day so far and just want to know the best way to go about it. I tried two methods in the video. What is the best way to practise? And is it easier to learn this or pedal kicks first?

Thanks

Edited by trials_noob

Try kicking or lean more over your bars, your leaning too far back therefore you are being forced backwards, so try put a kick in there or try hop forwards without kicking, shift the weight of your body into the bars and see if you can move forwards :) its all about patience and persistance it pay's of in the end.

good luck. :)

Adam. (Y)

Two words for you mate! Pedal, brake! Hopping around like a loon with you back brake locked on wont really get you anywhere! Try learning to find your balance point. Track stand (essence of trials), then a quater pedal stroke to get your front wheel of the ground, then brake at the balance point (where you feel the front end become lite)! Then do the same again to move forward!

I suggest you try and lay ur hands on tricks and stunts 1 (with the two martins and hans rey), brilliant instruction vid, If you cant give me a shout and ill send you one!

I have tried the trackstand then kick method but i can't get the front wheel high enough when doing this, is it just a matter of leaning back more?

I have the 'mastering the art of trials' dvd by Ryan Leech if they're similar?

Also i take it the brake need to be pretty sharp for pedal kicking/hopping? I have kool stop pads at the moment and they're pretty crap but i'm chaing them soon, maybe to Zoos or heatsink reds. It's a pain because i have to brake with two fingers as the brake doesn't have enough bite/hold.

Tidytrials have you got msn?

Cheers

Well - in all those clips, you fall off because you lean too far back (the first few clips), or not far enough (the endo method, particularly the last one).

If you feel like you're going to fall off the back, drop your arms forwards, moving the bike down a bit... Gonna fall down forwards, simply lean back more or pull up harder (if it's the first one from endo)...

I found that, the first method you used was easier for me. Although I used something a fair bit higher so I started off much closer to the balance point.

It's all about finding that point - keep it there and you're set.

Other than that, it's just keeping at it - it shouldn't take too long... I picked it up in about a week, maybe a bit more??

Good luck with it, and don't get too mad at the bike if you can't do it - it's YOUR fault not IT'S... lol

Joke - but really - don't get too stressed over it, it'll come in time [and thankfully not too much of it if you persist]

Hope you don't quit 'cause it's not super easy like my friend did...

Flipp

Edited by Flipp

When i was learninghow to do that i did waht you was doing in that vid for about 3 days

and it just came to me

It also helped me a great deal riding with mint riders,you should do the same.

keep at it.

Mike

Edited by MikeHayes

When I was learning to backhop, I basically tried to wheelie a foot or so forward, then hit the brake. Wheelie again, hit the brake, so I was kinda doing mini wheelie/manuals.

Then from there just keep kicking harder and harder till you start lifting off the ground!

I managed to learn backhops in less than 4 hours using this method. Ok, so they werent perfect, but I still had something to work with!

If you can manual/wheelie you should be ok using this way!

Tarq

When I was learning to backhop, I basically tried to wheelie a foot or so forward, then hit the brake. Wheelie again, hit the brake, so I was kinda doing mini wheelie/manuals.

Then from there just keep kicking harder and harder till you start lifting off the ground!

I managed to learn backhops in less than 4 hours using this method. Ok, so they werent perfect, but I still had something to work with!

If you can manual/wheelie you should be ok using this way!

Tarq

I take it you mean keeping the front wheel in the air letting it drop then picking it up again? And how many pedal strokes and what size of stroke were you using?

Thanks for all the help