Look What I Found

Monty_susanne

Hello.I found this old friend in our garage yesterday night. and been thinking of fixing it up, But im not sure exectly what to do.

I wanted to give it a new paint, same colour as it is (hard too find i thinK) but not sure if i shall keep it as it is:unsure:

We only got 2 of these old monty's here in sweden and it was the first monty that arrived over here.

Also. if there is someone who actully got these old stickers too monty so am i intressted of buying them (not because i think someone has but good to ask)

//Suss

post-5526-1156856750_thumb.jpg

post-5526-1156856765_thumb.jpg

post-5526-1156856785_thumb.jpg

post-5526-1156857922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Monty_susanne

Might seem a stupid question but does it ride ok?

Only thing I can suggest is strip it down compleltly and rebuild it piece by piece and replace anything necessary

Good find though. Hold onto it and in the future it'll be worth loads :)

Or do it properly and bring it down to the bare metal, then respray and laquer?

I'd try to keep it as original as possible if your wanting it to retain it's value.

Check out those crank's, now we know where tensile got their insipration from......

Edited by jake1516

Or do it properly and bring it down to the bare metal, then respray and laquer?

I'd try to keep it as original as possible if your wanting it to retain it's value.

Check out those crank's, now we know where tensile got their insipration from......

but dont u think it loose it value if i remove the paint from it and stuff like that? I seriously want those old stickers mayby should ask monty in spain for it.....

but dont u think it loose it value if i remove the paint from it and stuff like that? I seriously want those old stickers mayby should ask monty in spain for it.....

thats what i thought,

keep all the oldness on and remove the rust,

ive done it on rusty things before

just keep adding very fresh coke on the fizzy stuff and it will lift most of the rust of! then laquer it!

being honest i dont think it will ever be worth a real mint but its just somehting nice too have

I'd say it would de-value it, if the paint was in really good condition, but with the spots of rust and all on it, i'd get somewhere to colour match the paint so it's as close to the original as possible, and then try getting new stickers.

If you get in touch with monty and they say they can't help, it might be a good idea to remove the stickers that are there, as carefully as possible, and get someone to make a new set for you using the original's as a base, graffics would do it over here but you might be able to find someone closer to home who can do it....

With regard top other parts, i'd be looking to get everything nicley polished, brake's, cranks etc. and replace the cable and housing, maybe throw on a set of new grips.

If you want to make it really nice, you could ask a welder about sorting you out with a new bashplate...

Those tyres have loads of meat left on them!!!

i say leave it as is. its better to be in not mint, but original condition, than in tacky looking mint condition.

trials isn't popular enough yet for things like this to be highly collectable, so i would store it safley for as long as you can and maybe in the furture bikes like that will be sort after enough for a professional restorer/collector to buy it, or restore it for you.

think how popular bmx is, yet there are only a very small amount of hostorically iconic/rare bikes that are worth restoring.

i would guess that the monty would be in the same lague as a raleigh burner at the moment, they are popular with collectors and enthusiasts but they aren't valuable as such.

if you are wanting to restore it as a bit of fun then fair enough, go right ahead, but if you are thinking of long term storage or keeping it as a symbol of where trials started, then i presonally would just keep it dry and safe and leave it as-is.

Having said /\ that though, if you look at Dinky cars and stuff like that, the better condition it is the more it'll sell for, so doing it up so it's as-new but using original parts (if you cna get 'em/need 'em) may be worth your while. Be quite a satisfying thing to do anyway :)

as u says there. I havnt been thinking of fixing it up as a value thing. just have the bike as a cool thing as a symbol or whatever u wanna see it as.

Its cool to have one of the first bikes of the trial world in a pretty good condition and try to have so much as original u can get it.

Some of the rost spots is really bad.

the fork will i probably have to take away the colour on and fix some new colour to it. lOoks really bad.

:S

Rest of the parts will become shiny as it was new ;)

Also takng pics of the whole project :-(Y)

//Suss ^_^

Having said /\ that though, if you look at Dinky cars and stuff like that, the better condition it is the more it'll sell for, so doing it up so it's as-new but using original parts (if you cna get 'em/need 'em) may be worth your while. Be quite a satisfying thing to do anyway :)

yeh i agree totally, just if said dinky car was painted by a four year old with poster paints i would rather have it chipped, if you get me.

she's said it's more of a fun project than a 100% accurate restoration though so that's fair enough.

i just wanted to make a point that a badly done job, isn't worth doing at all.

imagine someone bringing one of those up to date.With echo 06 rim's,proflile rear hub,05 rear maggy, hope front disc! :lol:

Would look a bit stupid and pointless.How much are those old skool thing's worth?If it's worth load's...I would restore it and then sell it. (Y)

imagine someone bringing one of those up to date.With echo 06 rim's,proflile rear hub,05 rear maggy, hope front disc! :lol:

Would look a bit stupid and pointless.

yeah thats true. but i cant think that someone would be that heartless and do that :P

Yeah dont update the bits whatever you do

oh and definitly leave the seat in