Gear Ratios

weewillywinky

sorry if this topic has been posted before but i have just recently found my password for my old account and haven't really been in this place for ages.

my question is, how do gear ratios work, what makes it harder to pedal and all that sought of (to me) technical stuff. its hard to explain what i mean but im always stuck when working out what will be harder to pedal 18:10 or something like that or a higher toothed front sprocket.

im thinking of buying a full on street rig like a dmr or something, and i was wondering what sought of ratio i would be looking at. whether i'd go for a 42 tooth on the front or a 36 tooth cog.

i hate technical things but i guess i need to know to understand, owel cheers in advance to any one who can help!

Just googled it and found this page, as it is one of them things i often get confused with myself.

Gear ratios explained (Y)

Should all be there, but it is explained on the basis of a more conventional bike.

In regards for the best gearing for a street bike i can't really help, as i have never owned one.

Edited by huck_it

fair enuf lol think i may just give it ago on some ones bike before i buy then, i guess its personal preference but i just get so confused with stuff like this, same with geometry on bikes like, what hight does the bb make a difference, it obviously does lol i just don't understand. lol simple people hey. cheers for the help

just read all of that page off google and now thinking about it, it is quite easy to understand lol and as i do a-level maths you'd think i would of know lol owel. bikes are justgetting easier every time i find something out. awesome. cheers guys!!!

If its more kinda Aaron Chase style riding 36-16 works, not too big at the front. If you want to stick with a more trialsy gear i think 20-12/13 is a bit harder. Best way is to try out a few bikes though like you said. It might be worthwhile testing out a few bmx's as well. The fashion in bmx is to have the smallest you can get away with like 28-13(i think it was).